Windows 10 Windows 7 installition Error Code 0x8007017

Musab Ilhan

hi i wanted to format my laptop for the first time than i did some thing really stupid and now i have a big problem now i had nothing important in my laptop (dell) so i insert my windows 7 cd and restarted to boot with cd than i choosed language then i choosed the custom option then clicked next and there we are because i did not have any important file i formated all the disks then when i choosed to install on c and clicked next i actually waited so much than i had this error -windows cannot install required files. the file may be corrupt or missing. make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070017- so thats is i tried to install again like it says restarted and tried again then decided to open the copmputer normally but i couldnt i had this error BOOTMGR :D so now im actually not sure this problem because i formated disks or its because my cd is some bad and thats the reason i dont know now im downloading windows 7 iso file to try it by usb if its not the reason pls help me because im going to be crazy

and im sorry for my english :(

Good morning,
That's the first question you'll have to answer; did you burn the disk yourself or is it a Microsoft Windows retail boxed media set with Hologram Microsoft logo? If it's a copy someone gave you, those almost never work since most people don't know how to make them, and they can't be copied due to copy protection. Let us know, and we'll advise you further.

Also, please post EXACT Make/Model of your dell computer? Is it a desktop PC or a laptop PC?

Cheers!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I have the same problem, and I was thinking what if I copy all the files from my laptop, onto my computer(wich has the error). Would it work? I know it might take a lot of time, but I really don't know any other methode to fix it. I tried tons of methodes, and all of them failed. I got the Windows Installation Disk from a friend.

Hi Chris,
I see. Re-read my Post #4; it doesn't matter where you got the disk from if you are trying to reinstall W10, the question is: is it a Microsoft Windows retail boxed media set with Hologram Microsoft logo?

Copying the files from your laptop to the desktop won't work. Can you tell us what version of Windows is on the laptop? Is it also W7? If you can provide us with some hardware specs on your desktop we might be able to help you better. What Make/Model is the desktop PC? Is it an OEM computer (Dell, HP, Acer, Gateway, etc.)? Or is it a self-built rig? (self-built means that you purchased all the parts for that PC and assembled it yourself). Or is it a custom-rig? (custom-rig means that you bought it from a shop that purchased all the parts and assembled it and sold it to you to your specs).

You say you tried all methods to repair it, but unless you repair computers for a living and I guess that you don't otherwise you wouldn't be here asking for free advice. You probably didn't try all methods and there are a bunch.

In the meantime, if you have a self-built PC and you got a windows7 disk from a friend and it's not a legit Windows retail disc (the one with the Hologram logo), it's probably never going to work since that disc was made by someone who's not aware of the copy-protection inherent on that disc. Did the friend tell you it's a Win7 disc?

I suggest that while you're gathering your hardware specs to post back here, you consider the following methods.
1.) Use legit Win7 media such as DVD/CD disc to do a Windows in-place upgrade on your PC.
2.) Use built-in Recovery Partition already on your hard drive to perform Windows in-place upgrade, reset, or reinstallation on your PC.
3.) Use factory Recovery Discs such as DVD/CD disc or USB stick to do a Windows reset on your PC.
4.) Use factory Recovery Discs such as DVD/CD disc or USB stick to do a Windows reinstallation on your PC.

Bear in mind that most modern computers, that is computers built after 2009 do not come with Recovery Media (discs or USB stick) any longer, so if you bought that desktop computer new, it probably didn't come with Recovery Media. However, the Recovery Media can be made from built-in software that ships from most major OEM computer makers right on the computer from within Windows. Most of these will let you choose to make Recovery discs or Recovery USB stick. From there you can choose Options #1, #3, #4 as above to repair your computer. Since you are getting the error message upon bootup, you are probably receiving a Blue Screen or Black Screen and cannot do the Media creation to I mention. You can possibly run Option #2, if whatever you were doing didn't inadvertently erase your entire hard drive. You should download the user manual from the manufacturer's website on a different working windows computer such as the laptop you mentioned and the user manual that explains how to access the built-in Recovery Partition, often using a keyboard keystroke such as <F9>, <F10>, or <F12> to access the repair menu of the PC.

If you don't have the Recovery Media, and you can't create it per methods above, and you can't access the built-in windows repair partition, your options are somewhat limited. You can purchase the factory Recovery Media directly from the PC manufacturer if it's an OEM computer as I mention above, they charge from between $29-$99 US to get it; and it takes 2-4 weeks to get it shipped to you once ordered. Once you have the legit factory Recovery Media, you can run Options #1, #3, or #4 to repair your PC.

A couple of other things for you to think about. If your desktop PC came with Win7 already on it, and you have an Extended Warranty on it (for up to 5 years), you can return your computer to the person or place you bought it from and have them repair it for free!:)

If you don't have an OEM computer as explained above, and you have a self-built rig or custom-rig and there's no Warranty on the custom-built rig, you can still fix it, but it requires more expert knowledge and skill to do so.o_O If this is your situation, post back and we can give you some instructions on how to go about fixing your PC in either of those scenarios.

Almost forgot to ask you did you remember to backup all your Personal Data to external media prior to this crash or whatever you were doing (such as a Win10 upgrade) that caused the error message to appear? If you didn't do this, you should stop what you are doing immediately,:hand: pull that hard drive out of your PC and set it aside for Data Recovery and put a different, preferably new, hard drive into your PC and attempt to repair it. Once you get your PC working again, you can work on retrieving your data from the damaged hard drive; we can help you with how to do that.

And lastly, you can take your PC to your local Computer Pro and pay him to fix your crashed PC using one of the methods I mention. I do this for about $40-$160 depending on whether any parts are needed to repair the PC, such as a failed RAM memory stick, Hard Drive, or PSU.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :nerdie:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom