Windows 7 Windows 7 Internet connectivity problems

Dorian1988

Extraordinary Member
Hi everyone

I am new to this site and just registered a few minutes ago. I have a PC with windows 7 64 bit on it. My problem is my internet connection. Every time I start up my pc from now on and go on to the internet I get the limited connectivity icon on my connection bars and my internet is slow and sometimes it can't even load pages. The limited connectivity icon comes and goes as well. I tried the windows network diagnostics troubleshooting tool and sometimes it says the dns server isn't responding and other times it doesn't know what the problem is. The weird thing is it is only happening to my pc. My Dad and my brother both have a pc with windows 7 64 bit that is connected to the same network and their internet connection is fine.

Help would be appreciated asap

Has it always done this or something new? If new could be a recent driver update.
Is this WIFI or by cable? If WIFI and has always done this some WIFI card/devices do not like certain types of security.
Make sure you are using the latest driver for which ever way you are connecting.
Even though others work a reset of the router and or modem might solve the problem.
Lastly if WIFI download a WIFI signal program and see if the signal is good, if just started recently it could be a bad WIFI card.

You need first to examine your IP configuration parameters. You can do this by going running a command screen and entering the following command:

ipconfig /all

If you need help interpreting the output then you can send the output to a text file:

ipconfig /all >desktop/ipconfig.txt

This will save the output in a file called ipconfig.txt on your desktop which you can then post here.

I know how to do it. I just did it a few minutes ago. I was busy before. It is uploaded to this post via a text document called dorian1988ipconfiguration.
That is all for this post.

Attachments

• Dorian1988s ip configuration.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 224
Has it always done this or something new? If new could be a recent driver update. Is this WIFI or by cable? If WIFI and has always done this some WIFI card/devices do not like certain types of security.

It hasn't always done this. It started this month in November. It is connected via WIFI although I do have a xbox 360 console connected via a cable to the router.

Make sure you are using the latest driver for which ever way you are connecting.

There is no other driver for my adapter, I have the latest one. My adapter is pretty old though, it is a D-Link DWA-125 Wireless N 150 adapter. I am going to get a new one to see if the adapter is the problem. It just doesn't make sense though if it is the adapter cause it connect no problem to the network it is just the internet that is the problem.

Lastly if WIFI download a WIFI signal program and see if the signal is good, if just started recently it could be a bad WIFI card

The signal is strong mostly. Sometimes it goes down a little bit but it doesn't stay low.[/quote]

ipconfig looks ok. You have IPv6 configured and it has been identified as causing some conflicts - I would disable it. You do not show any of the other config entries and it is possible there may be some conflict with other devices.

ipconfig looks ok. You have IPv6 configured and it has been identified as causing some conflicts - I would disable it. You do not show any of the other config entries and it is possible there may be some conflict with other devices.

I just tried using my Dad's network adapter, which is a belkin, on my computer instead to see if it was the adapter and my internet connection is working now. I can surf the web. The other devices I have are just virtual machine LAN adapters that are disabled at the moment. Would they cause problems? Also there are 5 tunnelling adapters which I don't know where they came or what they are. Do you know what they are?

Where would you disable IPv6 from? The other problems I had with that DLink adapter is I couldn't ping my router or get into the router settings from my PC only and if I tried to ping a website address it would take ages and say cannot find host.

IPv6 is enabled/disabled via the adapter settings in control panel. Tunnelling adapters are related to IPv6 as they enable connectivity from IPv6 capable devices via IPv4 connections. It would seem however that you have identified the cause of the problem as your network adapter so you may or may not choose to disable IPv6 (which would simultaneously remove the requirement for the tunnelling adapters.)

We go into Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Troubleshoot Problems > Internet Connections

We allow Windows 7 to automatically diagnose and repair the problem.

Each and every time it goes through the steps of diagnosing and repairing, it ends up "resetting the local area connection adapter."
http://windows7.iyogi.com/support/windows-7-how-to-connect-the-internet/
At the end of the process -- after everything has been repaired -- we get the following report:

"Default gateway is not available - fixed."

What steps do we need to take to permanently solve this problem?

By the way, the iMac is NOT experiencing any Internet connection problems whatsoever.

Windows 7 features a slew of troubleshooters and one of them just happens to be an Internet Connection troubleshooter. Many of the Windows 7 troubleshooters are very helpful. The Internet Connection one is more hit or miss. But, whether it actually helps or not, running the Windows 7 Internet Connection troubleshooter is worth a try. Obey these directions:

Open the Control Panel.

Beneath the System and Security heading, choose the link Find and Fix Problems.

The Troubleshooting window appears.

Beneath the Network and Internet heading, choose the link Connect to the Internet.

Contrary to its name, clicking the link doesn’t connect you to the Internet. Instead, the Internet Connection troubleshooter starts.

Click the Next button.

Choose Troubleshoot My Connection to the Internet.

The other option, Help Me Connect to a Specific web Page, is useful for when you have trouble accessing a web page.

Continue to heed the directions and advice given by the troubleshooter.

Click the Close button when you’re done.

For broadband Internet access, many of the connection problems are caused by your local network — the modem and router, specifically.

Back