Windows 7 Windows 7 keeps reverting to generic graphics

cab124

Extraordinary Member
I am having a problem in Windows 7 Ultimate in which Windows keeps reverting to generic, low-res graphics. Windows seems to function just fine at 1680 x 1050 using my ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series graphics card UNTIL I do something that invokes UAC, like attempt to install some new software. As soon as the UAC prompt comes up, the screen reverts to the generic, low-res graphics. At that point, I have to go into the device manager and select "Scan for hardware changes" in order to make Windows revert back to using my graphics card.

After doing this 500 times, its getting really old!!! Has anyone else run into this problem???

Thanks!

Welcome to windows7forums.

Does the screen resolution change with UAC only when launching a 3D application?
Is it the same behavior with UAC off? With different Catalyst versions?

I have never encountered this problem with my ati cards in 7. My suggestions:

1. Make sure to have your monitor driver installed, and get system updates
2. Switch to your desired resolution in windows Control Panel, and ensure that the refresh rate is set as recommended for your monitor
3. Slide the UAC control down one or two levels down from default
4. Check the Event viewer after the UAC prompt when it changes resolution

No, this doesn't happen only when launching 3D applications. It happens when I am installing any type of application. As soon as the UAC prompt pops up, the screen jumps to low res.

Yes, the first thing I did was to install my monitor driver (LG W2252TQ), but this didn't correct the problem.

I am using Catalyst Control Center version 2010.0406.2133.36843.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I will look into your suggestions.

Back