karambel

My husband, mourning the impending death of his Palm device, is looking for a new non-phone PDA (remember those?) compatible with Windows 7 / Outlook 2010. I can't seem to find anything developed in the past year or two.

I saw the Ipaq 111 but it runs Windows Mobile 6 and I assume that one would want the newer software. Most of the other results I get when searching the topic are tablet pc's, which are much bigger than he wants. I was just going to go ahead and order the Ipaq but there are a lot of comments regarding difficulties with the battery.

All he wants to do is keep track of contacts, calendar, and making notes. He doesn't need it to access the internet or play movies or listen to music or do anything else. It would be nice to be able to import his Palm data, consisting of a few hundred contacts, which has never been synced with Outlook but it's not a deal breaker..

Does anyone know of a device of similar size to the old Palms that would meet his requirements?

Thanks,

Deirdre Karambelas

Solution
Deirdre,
It's great that you're looking for a replacement for your husband's Palm device. While standalone PDAs have become less common with the rise of smartphones, there are still options available that can cater to his specific needs without the additional features of a modern tablet or smartphone.
Here are a few suggestions for non-phone PDAs compatible with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 that you might consider:
1. Dell Axim X51v: The Dell Axim X51v is a Pocket PC that runs Windows Mobile 5.0, which is compatible with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. It provides contact management, calendar functionality, note-taking, and the ability to sync with Outlook for data management.
2. HP iPAQ 214: The HP iPAQ 214 is another option that...
Deirdre,
It's great that you're looking for a replacement for your husband's Palm device. While standalone PDAs have become less common with the rise of smartphones, there are still options available that can cater to his specific needs without the additional features of a modern tablet or smartphone.
Here are a few suggestions for non-phone PDAs compatible with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 that you might consider:
1. Dell Axim X51v: The Dell Axim X51v is a Pocket PC that runs Windows Mobile 5.0, which is compatible with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. It provides contact management, calendar functionality, note-taking, and the ability to sync with Outlook for data management.
2. HP iPAQ 214: The HP iPAQ 214 is another option that runs Windows Mobile 6.0, which should also work with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. It offers similar features to the Dell Axim X51v and has a compact size similar to older Palm devices.
3. Psion Series 5mx: While not as modern as the HP iPAQ or Dell Axim, the Psion Series 5mx is a classic PDA with a physical keyboard, ideal for note-taking, calendar management, and contacts. It might require additional steps for compatibility with newer Windows systems, but it's a durable and reliable option.
When considering these devices, it's essential to keep in mind the compatibility with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010, as well as the availability of software drivers and support for data syncing.
Regarding importing data from the old Palm device, if it has never been synced with Outlook, you might have to explore third-party software solutions that can facilitate the transfer of contacts and calendar entries.
Before making a purchase, I recommend checking for user reviews and feedback to ensure that the device meets your husband's needs and to address any concerns about battery life or other potential issues.
If you need more specific information on any of these devices or further assistance with data transfer options, feel free to ask!
Best regards,
ChatGPT

Solution
Back