Windows 7 Windows 7 restore points?

bertie11

Honorable Member
:frown:I'm running Eval copy 7100 and I needed to restore to an earlier point as the system was running very slow. It turned out to be Opera 10. I've gone back to 9.64 and that seems to have fixed it
However. I assumed that restore points would have been set automatically from when I installed 7 about 5 months ago, but there was only one point shown for 2 days ago. Whan I tried to restore from that I got a message that System Resore could not access a file, maybe turn off AV, unspecified error 0x80070005.
I turned off Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 but got the same error. I manually created another Restore Point but still the failure to complete the restore, same error message.
So System Restore is useless it seems. Why did I only have one restore point in 5 months of use, and why is it failing to restore anyway?
I've just purchased the release versionof 32 bit Home Premium (delivery later this month) so I do hope this has been fixed!
Any idea please?

I have my W7 installation on a 35 Gb partition. When I installed W7 it allocated only 2% of my hard drive space to System Restore. I only had 1 restore point too. I upped it to 3% and now I have 2.

Since my W7 partition is so small I don't want to allow much more. Someday I will be able to upgrade my system and I will have a much bigger space for W7.

If You need to allow more for it go to: Control Panel - System and Security - System:
Click: System Protection
Under Protection Settings highlight: Windows 7
Click: Configure
There is a slide control to set the percentage as high as you want.
Click Apply and Ok

This will give you more restore points.

It's true that if the partition win 7 is on is rather small then system restore space will be quite small resulting in only one or two copies... If you check my screenshot you'll see the slider to change the storage capacity..

I have my W7 installation on a 35 Gb partition. When I installed W7 it allocated only 2% of my hard drive space to System Restore. I only had 1 restore point too. I upped it to 3% and now I have 2.

Since my W7 partition is so small I don't want to allow much more. Someday I will be able to upgrade my system and I will have a much bigger space for W7.

If You need to allow more for it go to: Control Panel - System and Security - System:
Click: System Protection
Under Protection Settings highlight: Windows 7
Click: Configure
There is a slide control to set the percentage as high as you want.
Click Apply and Ok

This will give you more restore points.

I have a 30gb partition for Win 7 with 13gb available. I have now set the available space to 4% and now have 3 restore points, so that is better! There is a Restore Operation undo shown, is it possible just to delete that only and leave the others?

But, I still have the problem, whenever I try to restore I still get the 0x80070005 failure shown in my first post, so I am no further forward. I needed to restore as my system failed to boot up on 2 occasions, although pressing reset brought it up OK each time (presumably using last know good configuration).
I know I'm due to format and instal Win 7 when I get the purchased version shortly, but I want to learn/fix before then!
Thanks.

It's true that if the partition win 7 is on is rather small then system restore space will be quite small resulting in only one or two copies... If you check my screenshot you'll see the slider to change the storage capacity..

Yes, I have done that, thanks. And I did also have a tidyup and created a new restore point but that still failed.
I wanted to go back to before a critical 7 update on 9th Oct as I thought that was causing the failure to boot, but that restore failed.
I looked in Add/Restore programs at 7 updates but the lat updates were in September, where did the Oct one go?
Puzzled here!

With there not being much space it's possible one was not created? If your finished with the restore operation I'd just delete it..
Have you tried using 'last known configuration'? If you haven't the restore point then usually thats your only other option.

With there not being much space it's possible one was not created? If your finished with the restore operation I'd just delete it..
Have you tried using 'last known configuration'? If you haven't the restore point then usually thats your only other option.

How do I just delete one failed restoration in the list of restore points? I am aware of last known configuration.

I would also like to know what is causing the 0x80070005 failure when I try to restore. The message said (precis): 'Unable to access a system file, try turning off Anti-virus and try again'.
I also allowed it to try to diagnose the fault but the test went through saying it could not find a fault! Very helpful.
I'v noticed other reports of this in the forums, so more work needed maybe.

It also refers to vista, did you try downloading the diagnostic fix anyway?

I also found this page where the user used chkdsk to fix his issue: Link Removed due to 404 Error

It also refers to vista, did you try downloading the diagnostic fix anyway?

I also found this page where the user used chkdsk to fix his issue: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Yes, but it is only the system validation tool. didn't do anything!
I haven't had time to try chkdsk yet, I will shortly though.
Thanks.

Yes, but it is only the system validation tool. didn't do anything!

I just thought it was perhaps worth a try....Sometimes it's the weirdest thing that gives the solution but unfortunately in this case it wasn't...:confused:

I just thought it was perhaps worth a try....Sometimes it's the weirdest thing that gives the solution but unfortunately in this case it wasn't...:confused:

Worth a try though. Its getting near to release day so I will probably jog along and do a fresh Win 7 instal when it arrives.

Yes, I checked all disks and partitions but only D:\ showed faults. My Windows 7 partition is H:\ so that was no good, although another problem was fixed that I wasn't aware of!

Back
Top Bottom