Windows 7 windows 7 task idle

shane4711

Trying to run a task on my Windows7 (Home Premium 64bit) notebook, when it is "idle". But task does not start.
Task has a second trigger, running at certain time, this works. But idle is working, because when screensaver is acticated, it starts after "idle" time.
Trying same task on my Windows7 PC: it runs, when PC is idle.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Hi,
It would be helpful to know what the task is? Is this a commercial app or program such as MS Word, or Photshop, or a program that you wrote? There are programming and script monitoring programs to help with debugging a program that is malfunctioning that you improperly coded versus one that your downloaded for free or purchased.

Also, system specs on your hardware would be helpful, such as Make/Model of computer, RAM size/specs, HDD make/model/size, etc. If you don't have these or cannot find them, we suggest you go to piriform.com and download the free SPECCY diagnostic. Run the program and then upload the resulting .txt file back here to this thread for further analysis.

You could use Windows7 built-in Task Manager to look at the services, and the Event Viewer log to troubleshoot further. Have you tried running the task in Safe Mode? Does the task start in Safe Mode? If it does, you could have too many programs launching in your Startup group, and you'll have to remove them one by one to find the offending one causing the delay. Safe Mode is a good way to test as it removes all but the most basic services and programs needed to run Windows such as system files to display the desktop, Internet, audio/video base resolution etc.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

It's a simple batch (.cmd) file. It worked for a long time on this notebook. It still works on my windows7-pc. But on notebook it does not start when it is idle (but I think "idle" is stil recognized, because when screensaver is activated, it starts after waiting 10 or 15 minutes, depending on the settings). I can also try this task starting a simple windows program like calc.exe, notepad.exe, also this will not start (waiting for idle).
It is not possible to test in "safe-mode" because task do not work in "safe-mode".

Others here are more familiar than I am on batch files, but one thing we see here a lot is that folks try to use the old DOS command windows (CMD) to automate tasks or set them to run on schedules; but that method is decades old; going back to the 80s and 90s. Most solutions are done in Admin mode in the CMD window or use the new Power Shell environment in W7/8x/10. You should try to rewrite your batch file in that mode if available on your tablet. If you cannot, you may need to use a programming language such as C++ or php or similar to accomplish what you are doing. Probably one of our whiz-bang programmers can take a look at this thread and suggest something more specific. Remember though that tablet computers have a lot of built-in limitations due to their downsized CPUs, GPUs, etc. to fit in a small slimline package. Netbooks have a lot of these problems as they run similar hardware to tablets and there are lots of things my older netbooks won't do in Windows that will work on a regular full-size laptop or desktop PC. Netbooks and tablets run the Intel Atom or Celeron processors, and there are lots of issues there. The code you used in your batch file might need additional variants to work on those types of computers; but most likely they will never work.:waah: You could also hire a professional programmer through your local computer store that you could pay to solve this specific problem. However, that money may be spent in vain.:cash::andwhat: That's just my opinion; but I've done a lot with those smaller mobile devices the last few years and have seen many examples of this.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back