Windows 7 Windows 7 : Themes and Gagets

JeanPant

Hi
Im having problem with my windows 7...this might be a driver problem - i have no idee

Seems everytime i startup my computer my themes disable(or something) - basically the transparancy dissapear, and i have a solid theme, and my gagets just dissapear

Any Ideas??

I did however see that when i restart the "Desktop Windows Manager Session Manger" service the themes are enbled...still no gagets (but i dont care about them)...

Does anybody have an idea why this happens, OR could help with : i o have a batch file that stops and starts the service, but nothing happens when i dump it into my startup.

Thanks
_JeanPant :razz:

Seems everytime i startup my computer my themes disable(or something) - basically the transparancy dissapear, and i have a solid theme, and my gagets just dissapear

First some info (as much as I know) on WDM:
The Windows Desktop Manager (wdm.exe) should be running regardless of your theme (Aero or Basic). WDM takes care of the preloading and thumbnails, as well as the cool effects of Windows Aero. When Aero is activated wdm.exe will take up considerably more memory, and this process is required for the function of Aero.

The most common issue (that I've seen) with a finicky Windows Aero, is the WEI:
Windows uses this to determine whether or not your computer is able to run Aero well, and will automatically disable Aero if your computer scores lower than 3.0.

A number of things can influence your WEI and I think you might be on the right track with the driver problem. It's possible that a driver you are running is incompatible with Windows 7, and is causing the WEI to detect that hardware improperly. For example, before installing my video drivers, my WEI's for Graphics (Desktop and Gaming) were 1.5 and 1.0, respectfully. These scores would not allow Aero to be activated through normal means, and forced the Basic theme. After installing my drivers for the video card, and refreshing my WEI, they jump up to 4.5 and 4.8. After refreshing the score, Windows 7 automatically enabled the Aero theme.

I realize this is fairly basic information, but not much info was included in your post, so I'm starting out with some general help.

EDIT: Sorry, it's dwm.exe, NOT wdm.exe

Last edited:
Hi cancerous86

Thanks for the reply

Windows uses this to determine whether or not your computer is able to run Aero well, and will automatically disable Aero if your computer scores lower than 3.0.

Yes ive read somewhere that you have to score more than 3.0 for the Aero to run, the strange thing is, my score is about 3.5, but i do recon my graphics drivers are not W7 compatible...Basically im just gonna wait until they release a W7 driver

Thanks again
JeanPant

Back
Top Bottom