GhostShadow

I recently upgraded to windows 8.1 from 7. Whenever I connect my D-Link dongle, windows thinks that it is a read only storage drive. I uninstalled and re-installed the D-Link software but it doesnt work.

When I start the "D-Link Connection Manager" it shows the loading screen and then minimizes into the tray. Then it becomes unresponsive. Removing the Modem doesnt kill the process. Trying to kill the process with Task Manager says, "Access Denied".

Went to device manager and clicked scan for hardware changes. It became unresponsive too. WWAN and WWLAN autoconfig services are working fine.

Computer gets stuck at "restarting" or "shutting down". I have to press and hold the power key to turn it off.

However, the modem has a seemingly random chance of working. It works sometimes. It works fine on my friend's computer.
xxkysxa.png

Last edited:
Solution
It seems you are encountering some issues with your D-Link dongle after upgrading to Windows 8.1. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:
1. Check for Compatibility:
- Ensure that the D-Link dongle is compatible with Windows 8.1. Check D-Link's official website for any updated drivers or software that specifically support Windows 8.1.
2. Reinstall Drivers:
- Uninstall the D-Link Connection Manager, disconnect the dongle, and then reinstall the drivers and software following the installation instructions provided by D-Link.
3. USB Connection:
- Try connecting the dongle to a different USB port on your computer. Sometimes USB connectivity issues can affect device...
It seems you are encountering some issues with your D-Link dongle after upgrading to Windows 8.1. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:
1. Check for Compatibility:
- Ensure that the D-Link dongle is compatible with Windows 8.1. Check D-Link's official website for any updated drivers or software that specifically support Windows 8.1.
2. Reinstall Drivers:
- Uninstall the D-Link Connection Manager, disconnect the dongle, and then reinstall the drivers and software following the installation instructions provided by D-Link.
3. USB Connection:
- Try connecting the dongle to a different USB port on your computer. Sometimes USB connectivity issues can affect device recognition.
4. Device Manager:
- Check the Device Manager for any conflicts with the modem. Look for any error messages or exclamation marks next to the device entry.
5. System File Checker:
- Run a system file check to ensure there are no corrupted system files causing the issue. Open a command prompt as an administrator and run the command: sfc /scannow.
6. Power Options:
- Adjust the power settings in Windows to ensure that USB ports are not being turned off to save power, which can sometimes affect device connectivity.
7. Windows Update:
- Make sure your Windows 8.1 system is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Sometimes, Windows updates can resolve compatibility issues.
8. Dongle Settings:
- Check the settings within the D-Link Connection Manager for any options related to read-only mode or drive emulation, and adjust as needed.
9. Compatibility Mode:
- If the D-Link software does not have a specific Windows 8.1 version, try running it in compatibility mode for Windows 7.
If the issue persists, reach out to D-Link support for further assistance or consider trying the dongle on another Windows 8.1 computer to see if the issue is isolated to your system.

Solution
Back