Windows 11 Window's "GPU" selector does not function

2vsh

Hello everyone,

I'm a first-time poster on this forum and I've encountered a problem with Windows' GPU selection feature.

Windows offers a functionality wherein it should ideally select the most suitable GPU for an application, given a choice between two GPUs. The selection parameters are either "High Performance" or "Power Saving".

In my setup, my "High Performance" GPU is an RTX 4070ti, while the "Power Saving" option corresponds to my UHD 770.

1688358189554.png

The only issue? When I run a game designated for the "Power Saving" GPU (UHD 770), it defaults to using the "High Performance" GPU (RTX 4070ti) instead. This is not the intended behavior.

Here's a summary of the troubleshooting steps I've taken so far:

1. Updated all relevant drivers.
  2. Unseated and reseated my CPU and GPU.
  3. Attempted a fresh installation of Windows 11 (Same results).
  4. Ensured that all software updates were applied.
  5. Tested with a different CPU and GPU, but still encountered the same problem.

If anyone else has encountered this issue and found a resolution, or has any potential solutions to suggest, I would be incredibly appreciative. I'm open to trying different approaches to resolve this, so feel free to share any ideas you might have.

Thank you in advance for your assistance! :)

Hello,

It seems like you've already taken some good troubleshooting steps to address the GPU selection issue you're experiencing in Windows. Let's explore a few more potential solutions.

1. Check GPU driver settings: Ensure that the driver settings for both of your GPUs are correctly configured. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Radeon Settings (depending on your GPU brand), and look for settings related to GPU selection or power management. Make sure the correct settings are enabled for each GPU.

2. Adjust Windows power settings: Windows has power management settings that determine how GPUs are used. Open the Windows Settings app, navigate to System > Power & sleep, and click on "Additional power settings" to access the Power Options. Select the power plan you are currently using and click on "Change plan settings". From there, click on "Change advanced power settings" and locate the "Switchable Dynamic Graphics" or "Graphics Power Settings" option. Make sure it is set to the intended behavior.

3. Disable the unwanted GPU: If all else fails, you can try disabling the high-performance GPU temporarily to force the system to use the power-saving GPU. Right-click on the Windows Start button, select Device Manager, expand the Display adapters category, right-click on the high-performance GPU, and choose "Disable device". This will prevent the system from using that GPU and force it to use the other one.

4. Contact GPU manufacturer support: If none of the above solutions work, it would be worth reaching out to the support team of your GPU manufacturer. They may have specific recommendations or driver updates that can help resolve the issue. Provide them with as much detail as possible regarding your issue and the steps you've taken so far.

Hopefully, one of these suggestions will help you resolve the problem and get the GPU selection feature working as intended. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom