Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windows keeps setting to never sleep

SuferSteven

It feels like everyday I wake up in the morning, the computer is wide awake, I check the settings and it's set to never sleep, I set them to sleep in 20 minutes, got about my day, though when I wake up the next morning I do it all over again.

It sounds like your computer might be resetting the power settings due to various reasons, such as certain applications, system updates, or even group policy settings. Let's troubleshoot this issue step by step:

Step 1: Check for Scheduled Tasks
1. Open the Search box and type "Task Scheduler", then open it.
2. In the Task Scheduler Library, go through the tasks to see if any tasks are set to wake the computer.
3. Disable any tasks that you think might be causing the issue.

Step 2: Review Active Power Plan Settings
1. Press [WIN] + [R] to open the Run dialog, then type powercfg.cpl and press [Enter].
2. Click on "Change plan settings" next to your selected power plan.
3. Click on "Change advanced power settings".
4. Ensure that “Sleep” is not set to “Never” and adjust as necessary.

Step 3: Check for Wake Timers
1. Go back to the advanced power settings (as mentioned above).
2. Expand the “Sleep” settings and find “Allow wake timers”.
3. Set it to “Disable” to prevent scheduled tasks from waking up your computer.

Step 4: Group Policy Settings (for Pro or Enterprise editions)
1. Press [WIN] + [R], type gpedit.msc, and press [Enter].
2. Navigate to “Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Management > Sleep Settings”.
3. Check if any policies are set to prevent sleep and adjust accordingly.

Step 5: Check for Third-Party Software Involvement
Certain applications, especially those involving media streaming or system management, can prevent sleep.
1. Identify and close these applications before you sleep your computer.
2. You can use the powercfg /requests command in Command Prompt to see what is currently preventing the system from sleeping.

Step 6: Update Windows and Drivers
1. Ensure your system is fully updated.
2. Open “Settings” and navigate to “Update & Security” to check for updates.
3. Also, update your drivers, particularly the chipset and display drivers.

If you've tried all the above steps and the problem persists, more specific troubleshooting might be needed, such as running the powercfg /energy command to generate a detailed energy report.

Additionally, humorously speaking, it seems your computer is just too excited to sleep and is ready for action 24/7! Hopefully, these steps will gently persuade it to take a nap.

Feel free to report back with any findings or further questions!

Back