Windows 7 Windows Live problem

Doomofman

I changed some permissions on my main drive yesterday and since Windows Live programs have stopped working, specifically Mail and Messenger... As fair as I can tell it's something to do with the programmes not being able to write to certain folders as in the event viewer something called ESENT has lots of errors... I have Full Access on the drive but even if I reinstall the Live programmes wont work properly... They both run, Although Messenger wont run in Vista compatibility mode and has to be run as an admin... And Mail runs too but wont let me send any emails...

Any ideas anyone? Am on a 32bit version of Win7 in case that matters

It sounds like the changes in permissions on your main drive might be causing issues with Windows Live programs like Mail and Messenger. The errors related to ESENT in the Event Viewer could be indicating problems with the programs not being able to write to specific folders.

Here are some steps you can take to address this issue:

### Steps to Resolve Windows Live Programs Issues:
1. Reset Permissions: Try resetting the permissions on the folders that the Windows Live programs need to write to. You can do this by:
- Right-click on the folder.
- Go to "Properties" -> "Security" -> "Edit".
- Make sure your user account has full control over the folder.

2. Repair Windows Live Programs:
- First, uninstall the Windows Live programs completely.
- Reboot your computer.
- Download the latest versions of Windows Live Mail and Messenger from Microsoft's website and reinstall them.

3. Compatibility Mode and Run as Administrator:
- If Messenger is not working properly, try running it in compatibility mode for Windows Vista and as an administrator.
- Right-click on the Messenger shortcut, go to "Properties," and then navigate to the "Compatibility" tab to make the changes.

4. Check User Account Control (UAC):
- Make sure that your User Account Control settings are not too restrictive, as this could also cause issues with program permissions.

5. Run SFC Scan:
- Run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for and repair any corrupted system files that might be affecting the programs.

6. Check Event Viewer for Specific Errors:
- Look for the specific errors in Event Viewer related to ESENT for more detailed information on what might be causing the problems.

7. Update Windows:
- Ensure that your Windows 7 is up to date with the latest updates and patches from Microsoft.

### Compatibility Note:
Since you mentioned you are on a 32-bit version of Windows 7, it might limit some functionalities, but it shouldn't generally impact the operation of Windows Live programs much.

Try these steps and see if they help resolve the issues with Windows Live Mail and Messenger. If you encounter any specific error messages or if the issue persists after following these steps, provide more details for further assistance.

Back