Windows 7 Windows Media Center install fails

jtpcamp

Extraordinary Member
Last week both my hard drives failed and after buying a new one I reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium. When I tried to reinstall/set up Windows Media Center the set up got to the point where it was scanning my TV signals for channels and was about 1/3 to 1/2 through when the computer killed itself and rebooted. This happened 3 times at about the same place. Why is this happening and how do I get the set up to complete? I had it working just fine before on my old hard drive but I can't now.. I am now using Total Media 3.5 which works but not as well as Media Center so I would really like to get the set up to complete...:(

Sounds like your computer is crashing (Blue Screening) and promptly rebooting itself so you may want to consider taking a look at some of the sticky posts at the top of the Link Removed due to 404 Error especially the middle three.
When you did the new install on the new hard drive, did you then subsequently go and update all your drivers (chipset, video, audio, network (wifi and lan), etc.), for your installed hardware to the latest versions available?
Check the Computer manufacturer's, motherboard manufacturer's or actual device manufacturer's website for their most current drivers for your specific hardware.
Regards
Randy

Last edited:
Follow the steps listed below and check if that fixes the issue:

1. Exit ‘Windows Media Center’.
2. Click Start, type cmd in the Start search box, right click and select “Run as administrator”.
3. Execute the command regsvr32.exe atl.dll and then the following commands:

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched /unregServer
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched /service
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr /unregServer
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr /service
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRec.exe /unregServer
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRec.exe /regserver
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe /unregServer
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe /regserver

4. Restart ‘Windows Media Center’.

Check now if you’re able to download the program guides without any error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back