Windows 10 Windows Search Function doesn't work in Shared folder with SMB from mac OS

Shadew78

Hello all,

I have an issue with the SMB shared folders by MAC OS, I'm able to access them in my home network from a PC running Windows 10 pro, but the search function doesn't work.

I have a home network with 2 MACs and a PC with the following configuration:
  • MacBook Pro 15: version 2018, mac OS 11.01 Big Sur
  • MacBook Pro 16: version 2019, mac OS 10.15.7 Catalina
  • PC: Windows 10 Pro, Build 18363.1198

In Both MAC Netbios is active, and I have shared some folders using SMB protocol only.

I’m able to access each folder from the Windows PC and I’m also able to modify each file stored, but If I try to use the windows search function in the shared folders, the search gives no results without even
starting, it only gives me no match found result.

If I use the Windows search function in the whole MAC the search functions works and gives correct results, but of course is very slow since it has to search the whole MAC, here below I have attached some screenshots hoping they could be helpful to understand the issue.

As note if i try to search from a Mac an SMB folder shared by the other Mac the search funtions works properly.

I tried to search on internet, but I was not successful in finding any hints on how to solve it, without success, any hints is welcome.

Thanks all in advance for any advice.

Supporting screenshots link:
SMB Issue - Google Drive

Is the network share mapped on the Windows computer? I would image the share is not in or available to the indexer service on the Windows computer. Mapping the drive should automatically add it to the indexer.

Is the network share mapped on the Windows computer? I would image the share is not in or available to the indexer service on the Windows computer. Mapping the drive should automatically add it to the indexer.

Hello Neemobeer, the flag for indexing is set (see picture here below) and another thing to notice is that I have also some folders shared by a NAS with SMB in the same network, in such folders the search works properly, without the needs to mount them as drive, this problem affect only the folders shared by MacbooPros running mac OS.

This is a realy annoying issue I was not able to fix so far...

1605509595152.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom