Windows 10 Windows shares -- why is this not simpler?

RodBarnes

Extraordinary Member
It seems I've been dealing with Windows share issues for years across multiple versions of Windows. It never seems to get simpler. :(

I have two Windows 10 Pro systems (Brawn, Ardor). Brawn has been running for several years; Ardor is a new system brought up a couple days ago. I like having a single share on each computer in my home for exchanging files. I successfully created a share on Ardor which is visible and accessible from Brawn. I have been unable to do this with a share on Brawn and access it from Ardor. (Yes, I know I could use a single share on either to facilitate exchanging files but this just bugs me and it should work :confused:.)

• Both are logged into the same Microsoft Account.
  • Both systems are in the same Workgroup.
  • Both are on the same physical network, same subnet (192.168.0.x), and both can ping each other by name. The network has a router and two APs. Brawn is cabled to an AP. Ardor is WiFi connected to an AP.
  • When I attempt to access the Brawn share from Ardor, it fails and clicking on [Network Diagnostics] it reports "file and print sharing resource (BRAWN) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts" -- see screenshot.
  • Comparing the Network Profiles, I noticed that Brawn says it is connected to a public network -- it is not -- while Ardor says it is connected to a private network. I know a mismatch here can cause problems like this. So, I tried changing this via Set-NetConnectionProfile. The change was accepted and it did cause the Network Profile to show "Private (current profile)" which it wasn't before, but: 1) it did not fix the issue with accessing the share, and 2) the change does not last through a restart.
  • I reviewed and compared the list of services on each (thinking maybe I'd disabled some pertinent service on Brawn) but did not see any significant differences I thought might account for this issue.
One possibly related factor: Brawn is a development system and is running Hyper-V with several VMs used for testing and is running IIS for FTP services.

Last edited:
*Editing Post* I missed the part where you changed the Network profile
Have you verified permissions are either open or that you are using credentials from Brawn to access the share? Credentials are unique to the system.

You can also grab two tools and run them from Ardor (Wireshark and nmap)
Run nmap <brawn ip or name>
You should see port 445 open. If it shows as filtered or closed then file sharing is not open or running
You can also try running wireshark and selecr your NIC
In the filter box add id.addr == <brawn ip>

Then try connecting to the file share. Save the filtered pcap file and happy to look at it.

It seems I've been dealing with Windows share issues for years across multiple versions of Windows. It never seems to get simpler. :(

I have two Windows 10 Pro systems (Brawn, Ardor). Brawn has been running for several years; Ardor is a new system brought up a couple days ago. I like having a single share on each computer in my home for exchanging files. I successfully created a share on Ardor which is visible and accessible from Brawn. I have been unable to do this with a share on Brawn and access it from Ardor. (Yes, I know I could use a single share on either to facilitate exchanging files but this just bugs me and it should work :confused:.)

• Both are logged into the same Microsoft Account.
  • Both systems are in the same Workgroup.
  • Both are on the same physical network, same subnet (192.168.0.x), and both can ping each other by name. The network has a router and two APs. Brawn is cabled to an AP. Ardor is WiFi connected to an AP.
  • When I attempt to access the Brawn share from Ardor, it fails and clicking on [Network Diagnostics] it reports "file and print sharing resource (BRAWN) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts" -- see screenshot.
  • Comparing the Network Profiles, I noticed that Brawn says it is connected to a public network -- it is not -- while Ardor says it is connected to a private network. I know a mismatch here can cause problems like this. So, I tried changing this via Set-NetConnectionProfile. The change was accepted and it did cause the Network Profile to show "Private (current profile)" which it wasn't before, but: 1) it did not fix the issue with accessing the share, and 2) the change does not last through a restart.
  • I reviewed and compared the list of services on each (thinking maybe I'd disabled some pertinent service on Brawn) but did not see any significant differences I thought might account for this issue.
One possibly related factor: Brawn is a development system and is running Hyper-V with several VMs used for testing and is running IIS for FTP services.
I do not know if you have tryed the "LEARN HOW EASY IT IS TO SHARE FILES WITHIN YOUR HOME NETWORK!" found on: Tips & Trix

It goes through the basics from how to enable network sharing (in the correct way), How to: Enable sharing so that anyone with network access can read.. etc. and so on...
Try it, it worked for me!

Back
Top Bottom