Windows 8 windows store is corrupt and can't be fixed

Debbie West

Hi, I was unable to download any apps from my Windows Store after upgrading to Windows 8.1. I have had 8.1 previously so it wasn't the problem. I think my laptop got a virus. anyway I restore my HP Pavilion laptop to factory condition, as the store had also said it was corrupt by then. Today I tried to download an app, hoping the restoration had fixed the store's problem. I received Error 0x80080206. I checked this forum and someone had posted the Apps Troubleshooter download link. I downloaded the Apps Troubleshooter, and it said that some problems were fixed, but that the store is corrupt and can't be fixed. Is there ANY OTHER WAY I can get Windows Store to work? My laptop is only a year old! I hardly even USED the Windows Store. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

0x80080206

This error is the heartbeat between you and the store... as you just reset your system I'd suspect the time on your system is out.

More than an hour will bugger the handshake (are you in daylight savings time) can you sync your time?

Screenshot (140).png

Hi USSNORWAY! I started to say I DID sync, but I didn't. I just set the correct time. Will try to synchronize with Internet time server as you suggested. Thanks! Will let you know if it works!

Hi USSNORWAY! I started to say I DID sync, but I didn't. I just set the correct time. Will try to synchronize with Internet time server as you suggested. Thanks! Will let you know if it works!
Hi! I DID synchronize the time with internet,and it did help a little. My granddaughter was able to load some games. I'm not able to load some games I'd bought previously though. I"m getting Error # 0x80073cf9. I can't find out what that error code means. Can you help? The games are adventure games, 2 of them are Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood, and the nd is Time Mysteries 3: The Final Enigma. Thanks!

Hi Debbie,
Try this:
Do a search for command prompt, right click on it and click 'run as admin'. Then copy and paste this command into the command prompt box:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Press enter and await results. Be patient as this can take some time and at first may appear as if nothing is happening.

Hi Deb,

That error is an expected folder wasn’t found… normally it would be the “AUInstallAgent” folder i.e. the place where windows wants to put the un-install icon. IME helpful 3rd party anti-virus and registry programs are the cause of this error but you have done a reset.

Ok so what next?
1. Try what Kemical posted first… that will try to auto-restore the windows files and 90% of the time will fix it.
2. If that fails then I’d suspect the backup files on that system are incomplete and run the official microsoft troubleshooter... this is the same as above but will try to download the files it needs from microsoft instead of looking at your system for them http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab
3. If these both fail then your only real option is a fresh install of window from an iso or disc… luckily Microsoft has made the iso available for public download.

Good luck with it m8.

okay DSSNORWAY, I did enter the prompt but it says "DISM" etc is unknown. I'll try the download from microsoft. Thanks! Will let you know if it works. I really appreciate your help! God bless! And have a nice Thanksgiving if I don't get back to you before then. At least my granddaughter is able to load new games right now from store, you have definitely helped. Thanks Again!

Hi Debbie,
Try this:
Do a search for command prompt, right click on it and click 'run as admin'. Then copy and paste this command into the command prompt box:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Press enter and await results. Be patient as this can take some time and at first may appear as if nothing is happening.

Hello Kemical,
Im having the same problem, error code 0x80073CF9 when trying to download an app that i had before. The only difference is im using Windows Mobile10 on Lumia 930.
Done with changing the auto time/date to manual, checking my details on microsoft account, make sure im having sufficient storage, sync my microsoft account and even soft reset my phone. none of the troubleshoot above solve my problem.. do u have any other solution to this?

Thanks in advance
-zuhri

Back