Windows 7 Work net work problem

K Daly

I have connected to a work network, no problem. I mapped the drive and can see and access all files but if I make a change and try to save a file I get the message file can not be saved. It then changes the file to a temp file that can not be opened and in effect loses the file. What can be done?

Server: Windows 2000 Server
Other Computers: XP Pro
Wireless Router Llinksys

It seems like the issue you are facing with saving files on the mapped drive could be related to permission settings, network configuration, or file system compatibility between Windows 2000 Server and XP Pro.

Here are some suggestions to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

### Check File Permissions:
1. File Permissions: Ensure that the user account you are using has the necessary permissions to write to the folder on the Windows 2000 Server. You may need administrative privileges to save files on the network drive.

### Network Configuration:
1. Network Sharing: Confirm that the network sharing settings on the Windows 2000 Server are correctly configured to allow file read/write access from your XP Pro machine.

### File System Compatibility:
1. File System: Check the file system type on the mapped drive. Windows 2000 Server might be using an older file system that is not fully compatible with XP Pro. Make sure the file system is in a format that both systems can read and write to.

### Connectivity:
1. Network Stability: Verify the stability of your wireless network connection. Unstable connections can lead to issues with saving files on network drives.

### Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Drive Mapping: Re-map the network drive on your XP Pro machine and ensure that the correct credentials are used.

2. Temporary Files: If files are being saved as temporary files, it might indicate a problem with the saving process. Check if the temporary files are being created due to a lack of permissions or other issues.

### Additional Considerations:
- Update any outdated network drivers on both the Windows 2000 Server and XP Pro machines.

- Check for any firewall settings that could be blocking the file saving process.

By following these steps and considering the factors mentioned above, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the issue of not being able to save files on the mapped drive in your network setup. If you encounter specific error messages or behaviors during the file-saving process, providing more details could help in further diagnosing the issue.

Back