Networking issues

j3trooper

I am seeking help as networking is not my field.

I have a Windows 10 Desktop and a Windows 11 Lenovo Laptop. Both are on the same WORKGROUP private network.
My Desktop is hard wired to my Vodafone router and my laptop is connected to the same network by Wi-Fi.

On my Windows 10 Desktop (under the Network icon) I can see my Laptop and my Synology NAS icons but not my Desktop icon.
I have my Credentials correct and can (when I disable my Nord VPN on both my Desktop and Laptop) connect to my laptop and transfer files to and from my desktop.

However on my Laptop under the Network icon I can see my Desktop, my Laptop, my Synology and also a Vodafone Wi-fi icon all under the Computer heading.
Under the Displays heading I can also sometimes see Webos TV, which I presume is my LG TV that I have hard wired to my Desktop - I have CAT 5 connections in every room all connected back to a Netgear Fast Ethernet Switch by my Desktop) but cannot connect to my Desktop. I only have the one Credentials User Name and password which works for me when connecting to my laptop from my Desktop. Also when in Windows Credentials the password is always hidden by multiple asterisks, how do I view those passwords as editing them does not reveal them?

I have no issues connecting to my Synology NAS from either my Laptop or my Desktop.
Also there are no Troubleshooters available on either my Desktop or Laptop and I cannot see how to download any, not that when I have tried them previously they have ever been helpful.

The reason I have not updated my Desktop to Windows 11 is that I have a DYMO Labelwriter and despite several enquiries to Dymo and Microsoft apparently Windows 11 does not allow for dual software (I can choose to print from either of the outlets (horizontal or vertical) on my Labelwriter) with a single USB connection as it does with Windows 10. Upgrading to Windows 11 would mean me buying a new Labelwriter printer.

Thanks for any help

It seems like you are experiencing some networking issues between your Windows 10 desktop and Windows 11 laptop. Here are some suggestions to help you troubleshoot the problem:

1. Confirm WORKGROUP and network settings: Ensure that both your desktop and laptop are on the same WORKGROUP and private network. You can check this by going to the System settings on both devices and verifying the network settings.

2. Check Windows Firewall settings: Make sure that Windows Firewall is not blocking network discovery and file sharing. You can go to the Control Panel, search for "Windows Firewall," and verify the settings. Allow network discovery and file sharing on both devices.

3. Disable NordVPN temporarily: Since you mentioned that you can connect to your laptop and transfer files when NordVPN is disabled, try temporarily disabling it while you troubleshoot the issue. This will help ensure that the VPN is not causing any conflicts.

4. Check network sharing permissions: Ensure that network sharing is enabled on your desktop. You can go to the Control Panel, search for "Network and Sharing Center," and check the advanced sharing settings. Make sure that sharing is turned on and that the appropriate folders are shared.

5. Verify credentials and permissions: Double-check the credentials and permissions you are using to access the desktop from the laptop. Ensure that you have the correct username and password, and that the user account has the necessary permissions to access the desktop.

As for your question about viewing passwords in Windows Credentials, the passwords are intentionally hidden for security reasons and cannot be directly viewed. If you need to change a password, you will typically need to enter a new one.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, you may try restarting both your desktop and laptop, as well as your router and network switch. Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve temporary network issues.

If you still encounter problems, it may be helpful to provide more specific details about any error messages or symptoms you are experiencing. This can help in diagnosing the issue more accurately and providing further assistance.

It seems like you are experiencing some networking issues between your Windows 10 desktop and Windows 11 laptop. Here are some suggestions to help you troubleshoot the problem:

1. Confirm WORKGROUP and network settings: Ensure that both your desktop and laptop are on the same WORKGROUP and private network. You can check this by going to the System settings on both devices and verifying the network settings.

2. Check Windows Firewall settings: Make sure that Windows Firewall is not blocking network discovery and file sharing. You can go to the Control Panel, search for "Windows Firewall," and verify the settings. Allow network discovery and file sharing on both devices.

3. Disable NordVPN temporarily: Since you mentioned that you can connect to your laptop and transfer files when NordVPN is disabled, try temporarily disabling it while you troubleshoot the issue. This will help ensure that the VPN is not causing any conflicts.

4. Check network sharing permissions: Ensure that network sharing is enabled on your desktop. You can go to the Control Panel, search for "Network and Sharing Center," and check the advanced sharing settings. Make sure that sharing is turned on and that the appropriate folders are shared.

5. Verify credentials and permissions: Double-check the credentials and permissions you are using to access the desktop from the laptop. Ensure that you have the correct username and password, and that the user account has the necessary permissions to access the desktop.

As for your question about viewing passwords in Windows Credentials, the passwords are intentionally hidden for security reasons and cannot be directly viewed. If you need to change a password, you will typically need to enter a new one.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, you may try restarting both your desktop and laptop, as well as your router and network switch. Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve temporary network issues.

If you still encounter problems, it may be helpful to provide more specific details about any error messages or symptoms you are experiencing. This can help in diagnosing the issue more accurately and providing further assistance.
Hi ChatGPD.

Thank-you for your prompt and detailed reply. I will work through your suggestions and get back to you with the outcome.
Thanks once again.

Regards
j3trooper

Hi ChatGPD.

Thank-you for your prompt and detailed reply. I will work through your suggestions and get back to you with the outcome.
Thanks once again.

Regards
j3trooper
You're welcome, j3trooper! I'm glad to hear that you found my suggestions helpful. Please take your time to work through the troubleshooting steps and let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I'm here to assist you, and I'll be waiting to hear back from you with the outcome. Good luck with resolving your networking issues!
Regards,
ChatGPD

I've worked through your suggestions but still can only connect from my Desktop to my laptop.
I have edited my Windows on my laptop and entered the same credentials that I use on my Desktop (Should the Desktop and Laptop have different credentials?) I now get this error message when trying to connect to my Desktop from my Laptop.
1705034186455.png

I have now deleted and renewed the windows Credentials for my Desktop from my Laptop wit the same credentials I use when connecting to my laptop from my Desktop. Now when restarting both my laptop and my Desktop:-
On my Desktop Network all four network devices are displayed ie Desktop; Lenovo; Synology; Vodafone wi-fi
On my laptop Network only my Lenovo and my Synology are now displayed

I've confirmed both desktop and laptop are discoverable, on the same WORKGROUP, file sharing is allowed. VPN disabled.

I can still see all my folders on my laptop from my Desktop, they open up without having to enter my credentials.

The devices shown on my network seem to differ most times I restart my laptop & Desktop.

Perhaps I should just giver up and be happy that I can use my desktop to transfer files to my Laptop.

Incidentally how do I install troubleshooters as none are available on either my Desktop (Win 10) or my Laptop (Win 11)

Thanks again for any help

Back