John Clark

Extraordinary Member
I received an email on Oct. 11 from the Windows Forum relating to a problem with the new 24H2 Update. It seems that the update dumps an 8GB file into cache that can't be removed without damaging the OS and in some cases caused other problems.

I got onto the forum and reviewed threads that talked about the update and it seemed that the only problem was the update stalled the download between 40% and 90% and created multiple errors. Nothing was mentioned about the 8GB cache file in these threads. The solution given to bypass the auto download problem was to go to a Windows site and manually download the update. Do I still get the 8GB file when manually downloading the update? If so, when is Windows going to fixt his problem?

It sounds like you're encountering a frustrating situation with the Windows 24H2 update, particularly regarding the mysterious 8GB cache file that seems to have taken up residence on your system.

To address your query directly:

1. Manual Download and the 8GB Cache File: When you manually download the update from a Windows site, you are likely to still encounter the same cache file behavior. The caching process is part of the update management system in Windows, and it typically doesn't change based on how the update file is downloaded (automatically or manually).

2. The 8GB Cache File Issue: The reports about this large file being created post-update are concerning. While Microsoft often addresses bugs and issues in subsequent patches, there hasn’t been an official acknowledgment of this specific problem related to 24H2 and the cache file, at least in publicly visible threads. I recommend checking Microsoft’s support articles or the Windows Update history for any recent updates or hotfixes that might address this issue or similar concerns.

3. Next Steps:
- If you're concerned about the 8GB file, you might consider using disk cleanup utilities or tools like Disk Cleanup (Cleanmgr) to help manage unnecessary cache and temporary files, although be careful not to remove anything vital to system operations.
- Also, keep an eye on community forums and update channels for any announcements from Microsoft regarding potential fixes for this issue. User reports often guide companies to acknowledge and resolve widespread problems.

Ensure your system is backed up regularly, especially before applying major updates. Happy troubleshooting!

Interesting, in your reply you state "there hasn’t been an official acknowledgment of this specific problem related to 24H2 and the cache file, at least in publicly visible threads" but i receive an email with 3 articles that say it is a problem with 24H2. ?? Will there be a fix to this problem any time soon?

Thanks for your follow-up, John! It seems there's some confusion regarding the acknowledgment of the cache file issue with the 24H2 update.

While I mentioned that there wasn't an official acknowledgment in publicly visible threads, you've received communication indicating otherwise. That suggests Microsoft might recognize the problem but hasn't widely publicized it yet.

Regarding a potential fix: Typically, once an issue is acknowledged, Microsoft tends to work on a resolution swiftly, especially if it's impacting many users. Keep an eye on the Windows Update section on Microsoft's website or relevant community forums for any announcements about a fix.

In the meantime, if the articles you received provide specific details or workarounds, those could be worth exploring. If you have any questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out!

I received an email on Oct. 11 from the Windows Forum relating to a problem with the new 24H2 Update. It seems that the update dumps an 8GB file into cache that can't be removed without damaging the OS and in some cases caused other problems.

I got onto the forum and reviewed threads that talked about the update and it seemed that the only problem was the update stalled the download between 40% and 90% and created multiple errors. Nothing was mentioned about the 8GB cache file in these threads. The solution given to bypass the auto download problem was to go to a Windows site and manually download the update. Do I still get the 8GB file when manually downloading the update? If so, when is Windows going to fixt his problem?
The bot should have the data about this in its vector storage, but maybe it is confused. In any case, it appears from multiple reports that this is merely a reporting error that occurs in the Disk Cleanup utility, although I have not been able to confirm this. It apparently happens after you run disk cleanup, it will show 8GB that can still be deleted, or something of that nature.
Thanks for your follow-up, John! It seems there's some confusion regarding the acknowledgment of the cache file issue with the 24H2 update.

While I mentioned that there wasn't an official acknowledgment in publicly visible threads, you've received communication indicating otherwise. That suggests Microsoft might recognize the problem but hasn't widely publicized it yet.

Regarding a potential fix: Typically, once an issue is acknowledged, Microsoft tends to work on a resolution swiftly, especially if it's impacting many users. Keep an eye on the Windows Update section on Microsoft's website or relevant community forums for any announcements about a fix.

In the meantime, if the articles you received provide specific details or workarounds, those could be worth exploring. If you have any questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out!

It seems there's an ongoing discussion regarding issues stemming from the 24H2 update for Windows, particularly focusing on an 8GB cache file that some users have encountered. Here’s a summary of the conversation and relevant points:
  1. User Reports: Some users have reported receiving an email indicating that the recent 24H2 update may create an 8GB cache file that is difficult to remove without causing damage to the operating system. Additionally, there have been issues with the download process stalling between 40% and 90%, leading to multiple errors.
  2. Manual Download Concerns: There’s a specific question about whether manually downloading the update would still result in the 8GB cache file being created. The uncertainty about the nature of this cache file and its implications has caused concern among users.
  3. Edit and Clarification: The conversation suggests that the issue might be more related to a reporting error within the Disk Cleanup utility, leading to confusion about the actual disk usage. This discrepancy seems to become apparent after running Disk Cleanup, where it falsely indicates that there’s still an 8GB file that could be deleted.
  4. Microsoft's Response: Though there’s no widespread public acknowledgment of this specific issue from Microsoft, it appears that they may be aware of it due to user reports. As a rule, when Microsoft acknowledges issues affecting a substantial number of users, they tend to work on fixes promptly.

Recommendations:​

• Monitor Updates: It’s advisable to keep an eye on the Windows Updates section of Microsoft’s website and relevant forums for any announcements regarding fixes or further details.
  • Exploration of Workarounds: If users receive specific guidelines in the communicated articles, it might be beneficial to explore those to avoid complications from the update.
If you have any more questions or need specific insights regarding the 24H2 update or related issues, feel free to ask!

Back