Windows 7 64/32bit-issue or broken account?

DamageIncM

Hello,

I'm new here and I'm sorry to have such a big first post.
I have a bunch of questions and this might become a bit of a complicated story,
but I'll try to be as direct as possible if you don't mind helping me out:

I just installed Windows 7 (64bit) a couple of days ago.
Everything seems to be fine apart from a couple of little things.
Such as some programs, after a day or two, suddenly lost their icons.
As in the shortcut/desktop-icons, but they're also not there on the actual .exe-file.
It's only with about 3 of about 13 icons I remember counting recently,
but it didn't even help to completely remove and reinstall one of the programs.

However, the icons do appear on the desktop of a newer Windows-account I made.
I just noticed they don't show on the actual .exe-files of the programs there either though.
I've also just tried uninstalling and reinstalling one of the programs on that account.
But it did not make a difference.
Now it occurred to me that in the Task Manager, the process of some programs indicate it's "32bit".
So I uninstalled the program (this is CPU-Z specifically by the way) again
and then installed it in the 'Program Files (x86)'-folder instead.
Now it did work, well it already did, but with the icons intact, also on the .exe-files
and also on the original account.

These programs also seem to have a shield on their icon though.
I guess that indicates something about the bit-version then or that there's an issue perhaps?
That would probably also explain why for example PC Wizard 2010 crashes
when I attempt to use certain features.

Which also gets me to another question:
Will I always have to install these programs (that I guess run in 32bit) in that 'Program Files (x86)'-folder?
If so, how is that for games, will some have to go into that folder, thus always on the system-drive?
Or, if necessary at all, would it then be possible to create such a "x86-folder"
on an alternative drive like I have one for games?

Also, still I want to ask if there are any indications of a broken account.
Which I thought would be the case at first.
Cause the internet (forums and such) make me feel like it's easy to get one.
Is there a way to move all settings to a new account?
By that I mean things such as desktop-icons, gadgets and their settings, taskbar-settings,
window-settings and their positions and views and such things even, other configuration-settings,
name it, you know, all those things you tweak to make it work for you personally.
So is it possible to find specific files for that to move
and a new account will pretty much show up as your "home" again?
This is of course in case I'd want to move to a new account if one is supposedly broken.
Unless the files that contain all those settings might have the errors in them, that would be too bad...

Greetings and thanks for reading, I hope you can help me out.

Hello,

I just installed Windows 7 (64bit) a couple of days ago.
Everything seems to be fine apart from a couple of little things.
Such as some programs, after a day or two, suddenly lost their icons.
As in the shortcut/desktop-icons, but they're also not there on the actual .exe-file.
It's only with about 3 of about 13 icons I remember counting recently,
but it didn't even help to completely remove and reinstall one of the programs.
Hi DamageIncM, Are you using a clean-up tool? Some will start to delete stuff from your C:\Windows\Installer folder, which some softwares use as there icon library.

Have you tried manually deleting the (hidden) iconcache.db file (C:\Users\Elmer B. Fuddled\AppData\Local\IconCache.db) and your thumbs cache through disk clean-up

Now it occurred to me that in the Task Manager, the process of some programs indicate it's "32bit".
So I uninstalled the program (this is CPU-Z specifically by the way) again
and then installed it in the 'Program Files (x86)'-folder instead.
32 bit programs should automagically put themselves in the Program Files (x86) folder. CPU-Z on my system put itself in the Program Files folder as well, but it runs OK and without icon issues.

These programs also seem to have a shield on their icon though.
That's to do with UAC, meaning you will have to run it as an administrator.

A couple of answers to get you going!!

Hi DamageIncM, Are you using a clean-up tool? Some will start to delete stuff from your C:\Windows\Installer folder, which some softwares use as there icon library.

Have you tried manually deleting the (hidden) iconcache.db file (C:\Users\Elmer B. Fuddled\AppData\Local\IconCache.db) and your thumbs cache through disk clean-up[

No, sorry, I should have mentioned I barely did anything to this computer.
Except install Windows, update it, installed security, defragmentation and that's about it.
Apart from installing some applications like the CPUID-ones and Firefox and such.

32 bit programs should automagically put themselves in the Program Files (x86) folder. CPU-Z on my system put itself in the Program Files folder as well, but it runs OK and without icon issues.
I did notice that with at least one, I don't remember which, could have been CPU-Z.
But I stubbornly forced it to the "regular" 'Program Files'-folder, so programs wouldn't be spread out.
Only, I guess it's necessary then right?

And also, would you know (if necessary to put 32bit-applications in the x86-folder)
if it means everything 32bit should only go in that folder and no other folder or drive then?

That's to do with UAC, meaning you will have to run it as an administrator.

Is that also the case with UAC turned off (or to the lowest setting)? Which I only did today.
Didn't notice much of a difference besides it not showing up anymore
or only a sort of "warning for opening the files" like there already was in Windows XP.
Also, if I open a program with a shield on its icon right now, I don't have to "run as Administrator" or anything.
They simply start. I believe even before I turned UAC down.

A couple of answers to get you going!!
Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Back