Windows 7 64-bit Win 7 install/run issues - MEMORY - use 3rd party diagnostic app

rauk

Faulty memory often comes up in posts relating to Win 7 64-bit issues (BSODs, corrupt system files etc), I ran Windows memory diagnostics many times with nary a blip and since 32-bit installed OK without non-repairable sys file corruptions, I assumed all was fine on the RAM front and continued looking elsewhere. Wrong - finally bowed to the wisdom of others and tried a 3rd party app - chose Memscope rather than the oft cited Memtest86+. It showed faulty RAM instantly. A couple of re-runs later on individual modules and with defective one binned, Win 7 64-bit installed faultlessly and sfc /scannow had nothing to report! A bit early to say I'm completely out of the woods, but no BSODs, no stalls and I've yet to experience any Win 7 lags on resume etc plus Windows Explorer is behaving itself admirably. So try a "proper" memory diagnostic app' 1st!

Good advice. Been there done that,after a 4 week RMA process I'm finally back to normal.I used memtest 4.0 to test my ram.

I tried MemScope last night, base on the OP's recommendation. It ran fine on the bootable CD-RW disc.

My memory passed with flying colors, so to speak, of course it's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline which is top-notch RAM.

I have never had a bad stick of RAM from Mushkin.

Never used MemScope. Did you try MemTest86+?

I downloaded MemTest86+ ready for a "2nd opinion", but not much doubt over memscope results - 1 module had 0 error events, the other thousands. Can't speak for MT86+ therefore, but memscope pretty easy to use. Doesn't say how to initiate chosen test from test menu, but it's by hitting Return key. Most folk will guess that instantly I'm sure, but thought I'd say.

Will run MT86+ if any glitch appears, but no issues yet despite copious re-installs of software (64 & 32-bit) etc.

Don't forget, Windows 7 has a built in memory diagnostics program under Administrator Tools tools.

@rauk - Either program will work fine, MemTest'86 or MemScope. Since both run from bootup without Windows 7 being loaded you're able to get a more thorough, accurate testing that way. I used MemTest'86 for years and never had problems with it. Just used MemScope that other day for the first time. If you have bad RAM it will be flagged usually immediately.

With either one, you just have to search the Menu options to choose the tests. If MemScope shows that you have a stick of faulty RAM, then you do. Contact the supplier you got it from, if it's a recent purchase, or contact the memory maker's website tech support section so you can get an RMA and get a good stick of RAM. Both apps have a small learning curve, but their respective websites have info and FAQs to help you out.

Sometimes though it's rare, RAM sticks will arrive defective or DOA from the manufacturer, other times through use and age they'll go bad. I've seen it both ways. The key is to always purchase from reputable RAM manufacturers such as OCZ, Mushkin, Corsair, or G.Skill. There are other makes too, it's just that the ones I mentioned have a better track record than others, at least that's my experience.

Don't forget, Windows 7 has a built in memory diagnostics program under Administrator Tools tools.

The trouble is Digerati that WMD didn't indicate any faults (when clearly one stick was a dud). As a result I spent many many hours tracing, researching, testing, replacing corrupt system files (which didn't ever succeed in my case) and re-installing. To make matters even worse, some of my newest back-up disk images wouldn't load (thankfully I have redundancy built into my back-up regime so was able to overcome that). I even bought replacement Win7 disks to no avail. If WMD only worked like the 3rd party apps do I would have a bit more hair left. In summary, the point I would like to reinforce is don't rely on the convenient WMD telling you all is well - if it shows up bad RAM, great (well not great, but at least you know)! But if it doesn't, don't assume it's right.

Thanks - will keep that in mind. I note I have had MemTest86+ pass individual RAM sticks too, but put together, they did not play well.

Back