7 running horribly slow

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by astelly, Nov 26, 2009.

1. astelly

astelly New Member

As the title says, I just got done installing 7 64bit (after like a 5 hour install) and now the OS is slow to respond to anything I request of it. XP ran perfectly on this rig

My specs:

Harddrive: WD Caviar Blue
    Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusc 7.1
    CPU: Pentium D 940 Presler 3.2GHz
    RAM: Kingston 1GB x4
    Video: Dual XFX 7950 GT
    PSU: Asus Atlas A-55GA 550W

It was a clean install on a brand new hard drive. Needless to day after the horrible install time this annoys me to no end. Upon checknig in the Task Manager, the entire time I have the machine running the CPU is under 100% load. I, however, cannot find out what is using it. Task Manager was using 39% and nothing else was above 1%.

#1 astelly, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Did you perform an upgrade.

If so,. follow the directions below

If you are on Windows XP and planning to UPGRADE...

YOU MUST DO A CLEAN INSTALL. There is no upgrade path. There are user migration tools you can use, but you will need to backup your files and do a clean install.

I have seen several threads about this and just want to clarify. The upgrade from Windows Vista is a valid upgrade path, but Windows XP to Windows 7 is not

3. astelly

astelly New Member

As I said in my previous post it was a clean install on a new hard drive. I am trying to mess with it to see if I can lock down exactly what is keeping the CPU at 100%

4. astelly

astelly New Member

I am trying a different SATA cable. If that doesn't work I'll try another clean install. I am myself baffled I have played with 7 on work computers before and love it but this is pressing my nerves, mainly because I cannot find the problem. Anyone have any other ideas?

5. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Have you tried running the 7 advisor? If not, try it as it will point out problem area's, if there are any..

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

6. astelly

astelly New Member

Already ran it. Said I would have no problems. I hooked up my XP drive and ran it again just to check. Same results.

Looking into some other issues in similar threads here. Perhaps I can find the cause. Can't blame 7 though, MS can't test thier OS with every hardware combo out there.

7. astelly

astelly New Member

1hr20mins and it is only at Expanding Windows files (18%)...

As much as the long install time annoys me, it isn't what I am most concerned about. I want a usable OS not one stuck with the CPU at 100% for some odd reason.

8. astelly

astelly New Member

Yea, I know it isn't the OS. I have removed 3gigs of ram, the sound card, and both video cards. See it goes any faster.

9. kemical

Whats your system bios like? Many users have found they've needed to upgrade their bios. Are you running the latest version?

10. astelly

astelly New Member

No, I am not running the latest BIOS. I can try. Its one of the few things I haven't changed. I took out all expansion cards and 3GBs of RAM. The computer was just the mobo, CPU, 1GB RAM, and a hard drive I know is good because XP is on one partition. Still took an hour to even get to the Expanding Windows portion of the install. I'll try the BIOS update but I an beginning to think it is the install disc itself.

11. kemical

I hope it works out...:)

12. astelly

astelly New Member

Updated to the latest BIOS. With minimal hardware connected and it still fails to install like it should. I got annoyed and rebooted into XP after an hour and a half. I requested that Newegg send me a new copy of it.

If it happens with a second disc, I will be baffled, no idea why it would do this.

13. kemical

Thats a real bummer! I hope you get more luck with the new copy..

14. GeoffV

GeoffV New Member

Hi astelly

I’m thinkin’ there may be a component on the mobo that isn’t sitting right with Windows 7. Perhaps you could reinstall XP, then download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. It will scan your entire system and provide you with a compatibility report. The tool is available from the Microsoft Download Center here Download details: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor .

Hope this helps

GeoffV
    Windows 7 Client Team

15. astelly

astelly New Member

XP is still installed in its own partition. The upgrade advisor said I shouldn't have a problem. I borrowed a disc from one of the techs at work and plan on trying this again when things at work calm down. I know the disc is good because the tech used it to install onto a custom built computer for a customer. I did go down to 1GB or RAM but after the first attempt with just 1GB RAM and minimal other hardware I never switched out that 1GB for another, so that 1GB module could be bad. I'll update later. Thanks for the help!