8-Year-Old Autistic Girl, Arrested and Handcuffed for Throwing Tantrum

reghakr

Essential Member
This story combines two topics that really piss us off, bad cops and bad teachers. I guess the good news is that the teachers were not trying to molest the poor kid. Watch how this snowballs from one bad decision after another.

index.php
Apparently this poor kid with autism wanted to go to a party like all the other kids. Her teacher would not allow it because she was wearing her favorite sweatshirt, a hoodie that her mom had sewn cow ears on to look like a cartoon character.

This is when it started to go wrong. The teacher placed the child in a classroom and had TWO staffers watch her to be sure she did not leave. Look, I am an idiot. I have a G.E.D for God’s sake. I enter my articles into Microsoft Word and hope that I still get my grammar right. But, who thought this was a good idea? At no point did anyone come forward and try to stop this. Sheep. When Evelyn tried to leave, the staffers stopped her and she freaked out. Of course she did, she has autism and was basically being held captive by two adults. She didn't understand. She was scared and confused.

From Wikipedia:

Quote from the article:

Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.

This child needed special attention and was treated like a criminal. Worse.

Now the school’s principal, who was apparently also incapable of managing the situation called the police to have Evelyn arrested on suspicion of battery.

Quote from the article:

The cops, presumably not possessing a single critical-thinking bone in their bodies, went along with the administrator's wacky demand, patting and frisking Evelyn before putting her in what we can only imagine were kiddie-sized handcuffs

At least we have someone who had some common sense to evaluate the situation.

Quote from the article:

A prosecutor wisely refused to press charges. And Evelyn was released to her parents before having to spend too much time in the county's juvenile lockup.

They're now suing the school district and the sheriff's department for violating the Americans With Disabilities Act. But really, it'd be just as accurate to say they're suing for a lack of common sense.

Source: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Terrible story . Going to be hard to find an excuse for treating an autistic child that way .

Back