Windows 7 8GB ram only showing 3.21GB usable on windows 7 ultimate N

adamdavids

I dont understand why my installed 8GB of ram is only showing 3.21GB Usable. I opened my system and checked and I have 4 x 2 GB. Each time I boot it keeps showing only 4096mb. I am trying to figure this out but not having any luck with my machine reading the 8GB that is installed... now in properties it s only reading 4GB with 3.21GB Usable.

I am running Windows Ultimate 7 N, Anyone know how to resolve this? Thanks

Re: 8GB ram only showing 3.21GB usable on windows 7 ultimate N - 64 Bit

Thanks for your reply, but it is 64 bit operating system

Are you sure about that? Type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter and it will tell you.

Anyhow, go into the bios and set the memory remapping setting to enabled or yes. Save.

Is it the same type of memory from same manufacturer? Have you consulted you MB documentation on installing the memory especially if it is not all the same part number.

Thanks TorrentG

This is what it says when i typed in msinfo32

Installed Physical Memory RAM 8GB
Total Physical Memory 3.96 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.18 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.92 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7.03 GB
Page File Space 3.96 GB

When I went into the Bios and changed the memory mapping to ""enabled it now shows up in properties that there is now 8GB! (instead of previously 4GB) ...but still showing only 3.96 GB Usable.

The system type is 64-bit Operating System

I just cant figure why it keeps showing 3.96 GB Usable
It also shows 4096mb in the boot up stage

Thanks again for your help.. if there is anything else please let me know!

Thanks Master SGT - when i check the Memory it was all from the same manufacturer.. each was 2GB.
I would have to check again about the part numbers though.. and they are not easy to get to!

Hey Torrent - I took out the Ram and put back in again.. did this a couple times changing the order and it seems to now read 8GB in properties and the Bios screen!!

now it shows on msinfo32

8GB installed Memory
7.96 Physical Memory
6.99 Available Physical Memory
15.9 Total Virtual memory
7.96 Page File space

This looks and sounds better already!

Thanks again

I had a similar problem with my desktop, It would not show physical ram, I rearranged all the ram into different slots and eventually was enabled with full allocation of ram, I guess there may be a faulty chip in there that was not showing in the slot it was in, but the system continues to work now with as stated, allocated ram,
I hope you also now have hassle free computing, Good luck

Hey Torrent - I took out the Ram and put back in again.. did this a couple times changing the order and it seems to now read 8GB in properties and the Bios screen!!

now it shows on msinfo32

8GB installed Memory
7.96 Physical Memory
6.99 Available Physical Memory
15.9 Total Virtual memory
7.96 Page File space

This looks and sounds better already!

Thanks again

You're welcome. Enjoy. :)

on my system mb it tells you which slots to put the memory into as it has 6 slotts

Hye all,

I am a noob here trying to get a help from expert from this forum. I try to build my own PC yesterday. I installed kingston DDR3 1333 PC3-10600 DIMM 8GB ram to my mobo. However, after I finish installing win 7 ultimate 32bit..the system property shows ram 8gb (3.21gb usable). What is that mean?

My pc spec is:

Mobo : MSI 970A-G43 AM3+
Processor : AMD FX 4300
Ram : Kingston DDR3 DIMM 8GB
HDD : WG 500GB
GPU : Asus ATI Radeon HD6670 2gb DDR3

Right-click Computer & click on Properties. The window that opens will state whether Windows is 32 bit (x86) or 64 bit (x64).

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    42 KB · Views: 984
Hi

Your specs show Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

You need to install the 64 bit version to use more the 4 Gb of ram.

The last time I bought a Windows install, it came With both disks.

I think that as long as you have a serial number for Windows Ultimate it will let you install either version so you can download it if you need to.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using WindowsForum

I dont understand why my installed 8GB of ram is only showing 3.21GB Usable. I opened my system and checked and I have 4 x 2 GB. Each time I boot it keeps showing only 4096mb. I am trying to figure this out but not having any luck with my machine reading the 8GB that is installed... now in properties it s only reading 4GB with 3.21GB Usable.

I am running Windows Ultimate 7 N, Anyone know how to resolve this? Thanks

Excerpts.............
32-bit versions of Windows have low memory limits. The maximum amount of RAM supported by a 32-bit version of Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP is 4 GB. if you have more than 4 GB of memory, you’ll need a 64-bit version of Windows to take advantage of it.
The 32-bit vs. 64-bit difference isn’t the only thing that could restrict the amount of RAM you have available. Editions of Windows also have their own limitations. For example, if you’re using Windows 7 Starter, you can only use up to 2 GB of RAM, not 4 GB. Windows 7 Home Basic Users can only use a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, even if they’re using a 64-bit version of Windows.

Note : x86 = 32-bit
Image 6.png

Back
Top Bottom