Windows 7 a NEW PITA I just found re Windows Explorer.

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
Don't know if anyone posted this already BUT it deserves multiple posts.

If u go to the now SLIGHTLY useful new feature of libraries and search for a file with Windoz Explorer u won't find anything.

WE search can't search the libraries.
U MUST go the the folder location/drive/whatever and search there.

SO FAR, this WE is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

I also found that on occasion the focus jump to someplace else with no user action.
AND of course the one everyone is complaining about with the left pane shift to set the focus folder at the bottom of the screen.
The workaround either doesn't work or disables another function that were both available in XP.

If this is design intent M$, U need to send ur engineers back to HUMAN Engineering class.

I just found out WE doesn't know how to sort either

I have a bunch of files. I clicked on SUBJECT to sort alpha ascending and here is an excerpt of what it shows.
These are ALL .LOC files

GC1A11F
GC1AB3F
GC1AB4D
GC1AB4J
GC1AB30 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< that is three zero coming after four J
GC1AQRP
GC1Y5CB
GC14NZP <<<<<<<<<<<<<< that is four coming after Y
GC16ZB3
GC19HPC
GC1865G

It sorts NUMBER after LETTERS and thinks three comes after four when followed by another number

Maybe the engineers need to go back to kindergarten...........................

I would love to see the sort algorithm in use here.

Don't know if anyone posted this already BUT it deserves multiple posts.

If u go to the now SLIGHTLY useful new feature of libraries and search for a file with Windoz Explorer u won't find anything.

WE search can't search the libraries.
U MUST go the the folder location/drive/whatever and search there.

SO FAR, this WE is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

I also found that on occasion the focus jump to someplace else with no user action.
AND of course the one everyone is complaining about with the left pane shift to set the focus folder at the bottom of the screen.
The workaround either doesn't work or disables another function that were both available in XP.

If this is design intent M$, U need to send ur engineers back to HUMAN Engineering class.

Although some profess to love (and understand) "libraries", "libraries" appears to me, after 10 months familiarity, to only "muddy up" and add confusion and disarray to the Windows Explorer system that that had already reached an absolutely appalling level in Vista. I find Windows Explorer just a tad less disorganized by disabling "libraries" and creating an "All Documents" directory within the "Favorites" directory.

This points out the vocabulary limitations of the Windows design team (design team ??) Why do we have a Windows Explorer and an Internet Explorer? Why do we now have a Windows Explorer "Favorites" and an Internet Explorer "Favorites"?? Remember when the program that we managed our files with was called - - tada: File Manager?

pbcopter

Apparently, you don't fully comprehend the listing in my post.

I fully understand the difference in the sort order referred to in ur ref article.
I did not realize windows 2000 did it different or that one could change it.
That doesn't matter, but is a nice piece of info for my info overloaded brain.

please go back and look at my listing

"30" comes after "3F" and "4D", which it should not. "3F" comes before "4D",which it should. ascending sort.

"14N..", et al, comes after "1Y5.." - since when do numbers sort BEFORE letters unless it is a descending sort - But obviously "14..." coming before "16.." shows it is an ascending sort.

Did someone change the ASCII code? What code does M$ use to generate this sort?

One would think that after all these years of trying that M$ would get something like this right, instead of creating another market for aftermarket software to get it right. Just what M$ needs to erase the Vista image...NOT.

Sorry, but this is pure incompetence to me and the fact that they call it "design intent" further infuriates me.
They could admit they screwed up and it will be fixed - but somehow they think that not admitting their errors makes them seem "better". The mentality they are showing justifies the comment of sending them back to kindergarten.

And what about the LIBRARIES. If u can't search them then why allow the option to confuse people. Just M$ culture I guess. Can u say - "M$ doesn't understand HUMAN engineering"? - ergo, they need to go back to the class they missed.

Thank you.

Why do we now have a Windows Explorer "Favorites" and an Internet Explorer "Favorites"??

Thank the Idiot Justices that be for this one. They had to separate the 2 because it was considered "anti-competitive"
IE and Explorer were one and the same, integrated into the system. But, the wiser than us idiots forced the separation.
Thank them, don't blame MS.

Another pita

do u know that the engineers at M$ think that a space adds NO uniqueness to a filename (maybe even a folder, but I haven't tried that).
Try creating a file
1234.txt ------- with a leading space as opposed to
1234.txt ------ note the missing space here.

u can't do it in Windows 7

HOWEVER, I had a few files that I ran thru a program called multirename and removed a word from the front of the files.
This left the file name with a leading space.
I then tried to delete the space individually and WE would not let me do it because "the file name is the same"
I had to delete the second character also, then re-add it to get what I wanted - no leading space.

What planet are these people from??????????

I believe I have created file names in XP with leading spaces, but I don't have a system with it on at the present.
Anybody have a suggestion for a free file explorer, and a way to make it run as Windows Explorer.
Can we get back the one from XP?????????

One more screw-up

do u know that the engineers at M$ think that a space adds NO uniqueness to a filename (maybe even a folder, but I haven't tried that).
Try creating a file
1234.txt ------- with a leading space as opposed to
1234.txt ------ note the missing space here.

u can't do it in Windows 7

HOWEVER, I had a few files that I ran thru a program called multirename and removed a word from the front of the files.
This left the file name with a leading space.
I then tried to delete the space individually and WE would not let me do it because "the file name is the same"
I had to delete the second character also, then re-add it to get what I wanted - no leading space.

What planet are these people from??????????

I believe I have created file names in XP with leading spaces, but I don't have a system with it on at the present.
Anybody have a suggestion for a free file explorer, and a way to make it run as Windows Explorer.
Can we get back the one from XP?????????

This is just one more useful feature that users got used to and liked that Microsoft decided to eliminate with Windows 7.

Tepid, I didn't previously comment on your statement above, but maybe I will add some truth and reason to your accusation that "Idiot Justices" have anything to do with there being such confusion and disorganization being designed into Windows. "Idiot Justices" had absolutely NOTHING to do with Microsoft deciding that 'File Manager" was too simple and descriptive and needed to be changed to Windows Explorer so it would be confused with Internet Explorer. Same story, different page with respect to Windows Explorer "Favorites". "Idiot Justices" had nothing to do with this new confusion.

ANOTHER problem I just found with WE

As if u needed more bad news ........

ANOTHER problem I just found with WE
That makes the total bugs I HAVE FOUND = 10, that is TEN.

I navigated to this folder on my wife's computer from my computer

"\\8200HOME\d\Downloads\"
That is
"8200HOME" = her computer name
"d" = the drive letter
"Downloads" = the folder

Before I click on the address bar this is what shows
Network > 8200home > d > DOWNLOADS >

When I click on the address bar, this is what I get
"\\8200home\d\_DOWNLOADS"

Anyone have any idea where the "_" came from in front of "Downloads"
I have a "_Downloads" folder on my computer.
No, it doesn't show an underscore on any other folder that doesn't have one.

The left pane issue is only a PITA.
The rest of them give bad information which is totally unacceptable.

1. Random left pane action, mostly moving the focus folder to the bottom of the pane so you can't see
any of the sub-folders and must perform additional actions to move it up.

2. Unexplainable file/folder sort order causing files to be out of order (any order a real person
would recognize). A previous post lists the filenames and result obtained.

3. Leading "space" character not allowed in the filename, but you get one in there from another
program or from an import.

4. If you have a leading "space" in a filename you can't delete it because the new filename and the
old one are "the same" to WE. You have to delete 2 characters, then replace the second one.

5. WE can't search in the libraries even though it appears that it is searching. There are NEVER any
hits with a search in libraries. You have to go to the actual folder to do a search.

6. Keyboard arrow keys will move the highlight to the next folder in the left pane but the right pane
won't follow it. You must CLICK on any folder you want to open. It doesn't matter where the FOCUS
appears to be.

7. When files are added to open folders via a program operating in the background, like a download,
they may or may not appear even when "F5" this hit to refresh. You might have to close then reopen WE
to see them. They do appear in a nav window open in another program.

8. The highlight function in the left & right pane has cause me to repeatedly delete the left pane
folder instead of the right pane file. If you click on a file in the right pane, then go back and
click on the folder in the left pane, then place the cursor over a file in the right pane, the file is
highlighted the same as the folder in the left pane. Hit DELETE and OK and you delete the whole folder
because the focus only looks like it is on the file. It is still on the folder until you actually
click on the file again.

9. Erroneous path information given in the address bar. SO don't click and copy without looking closely. See above explanation.

10. Some of these actions are translated to navigation windows other programs open.

HEY, M$, IS THIS ALL DESIGN INTENT?????????????? >>> I DON'T THINK SO!

OBVIOUSLY, myself and a LOT of other people don't like it.
Does MARKETING need to do another survey to give the programmer permission to fix these bugs.

Yes,"programmer". I can't imagine that there was more than one programmer involved in this one.
What happened to QA/QC?

PBCOPTER, what do you think? Am I still off base on this one?

Back
Top Bottom