Windows 7 access NTFS volume from another computer

fredrossperry

I put a new hard drive in my ThinkPad T500 and installed Windows 7. I put the old hard drive, which has Vista installed into an external USB box. I can mount the drive, but there are some folders that I can't access. I also cannot seem to give "Everyone" access, or to take ownership. Is there some simple way to override the NTFS security settings?
Thanks.

I put a new hard drive in my ThinkPad T500 and installed Windows 7. I put the old hard drive, which has Vista installed into an external USB box. I can mount the drive, but there are some folders that I can't access. I also cannot seem to give "Everyone" access, or to take ownership. Is there some simple way to override the NTFS security settings?
Thanks.
Have you tried this

Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

running it now. Seems to be working. Swell! Once I've taken ownership, can I grant
read access to "Everyone", and then read it on *another* W7 computer? Or will I need
to TakeOwnership on that computer? Thanks.

running it now. Seems to be working. Swell! Once I've taken ownership, can I grant
read access to "Everyone", and then read it on *another* W7 computer? Or will I need
to TakeOwnership on that computer? Thanks.
I don't know for sure since I have no other computer to try it on.
But I suspect it might.

Back