Activating a Win 7 Installation (for a end user) as a MS Registered Refurbisher.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by DocsLaptops, Oct 29, 2014.

1. DocsLaptops

DocsLaptops New Member

I have applied to join the MRR program and have passed the test and am awaiting approval.

I was reading in the MRR manual that MS prefers that a refurbished PC is set up with sysprep so that the end user has to accept the license agreements and activate before using Windows.

However, the manual went on to say that the Refurbisher can choose to activate windows as a courtesy for his customers as long as he configures the PC to display the license agreements when the end user uses the PC for the first time.

This is probably a stupid question, but how is this achieved? Can Sysprep be somehow set to retain the activation information?

Or is this achieved using one of the tools on the OEM Preinstallation Disk or with the RPK tools described in the MRR manual?

2. Mike

Mike Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

Microsoft always prefers sysprep to distribute the OS, even across LANs. I have never worked for or been associated with anyone that likes this option, to be quite frank. There are other ways to do it like Ghost or any distributed imaging software. You could copy/paste the license agreement into a boot policy for the image. How their licensing works for refurbisher is not familiar to me, especially with this requirement. Clearly, they want the user to create an account and accept the EULA. Perhaps this is easier with the new online accounts (not local machine accounts)?

3. DocsLaptops

DocsLaptops New Member

The rules say that the end user has to somehow accept the EULA before they start using Windows.

I don't mind using sysprep, but it creates that pesky second user account unless the hidden admin account is accessed and the main user account is deleted first so it is a drag to setup and test....

The problem with that is my customers like to have their desktop set up a certain way with certain shortcuts and things and no matter how much I have played with sysprep even with the Generalize unchecked most of the special things I put on the desktop for my customers disappear when sysprep runs and the new user account is created when the end user boots for the first time.

Is there an easy way to just have the EULA appear when the end user boots for the first time?

4. Mike

Mike Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

I believe @Josephur runs a store and may actually be a MSRR. I have asked him to take a look at this for the EULA option. He says on private chat the answer should be on MSDN o_O. This is probably the case, however, who knows where to find it off hand. He is admittedly busy with work but if he can get to this thread he may be able to help you further.

If you are familiar with sysprep, the option to display the EULA is enabled by default, even when you create your own script file. This is documented here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196667

Code:
    Key name: OemSkipEula
    Values: Yes | No
    Description: This key disables the display of the End User License
    Agreement (EULA) when the value is set to Yes. The default
    value is No.

If you are using sysprep, this should happen every time.

5. Spirit Wolfe

Spirit Wolfe Well-Known Member

Sometimes it seems to me that Microsoft is so damn compartmentalized that it does not realize that the left hand is doing something quite different than that of its right. When I installed Windows for my customers that I serviced I had them purchase the flavor of Windows that they wanted (after I told them the differences) and I just installed the copy for them. I have A few different copies of Windows and when I did install a retail clean version with a clean key I just did not allow it to connect to the internet and register until I got to the customer's residence. So they still had to accept the EULA themselves, whether or not the computer I gave them was one I refurbished or built from new parts to form a new customized computer. I never even heard of sysprep nor the MSRR program. You know SOMETIMES I think Micro$oft just makes up these "programs" (and I use the term VERY LOOSELY, mind you) just to get more money out of us whom are trying to make a living at it. Most of us I think do this kind of work because we like to help those less technologically inept because they desperately want to learn but just cannot comprehend all this technology that is thrown at them as time goes by...

BUT....

What do I know... :)

Just my two cents... for what its worth...

Cheers!
    Shane M Gordon
    AKA Spirit Wolfe / Sawuwaya