Windows Vista Adaptec 29160n scsi controller with drives

Katoona

I have just installed Vista Ultimate and it works great, but my SCSI disks does not show up in Vista. They do show when booting the SCSI bios, and I have tried 3 different disks, and none of them show up when Vista have booted up.

The driver for the Adaptec 29160N scsi controller card was installed by Vista, and it reports no problem under Device Manager.

Anybody else experienced the same problem? If so, please share. :)

Do you mean you can't see them in the drives section when you click 'My computer'? What motherboard are you using? Perhaps you need to configure the boot order or disk priority in the bios?

did you go into admin tools, storage and mount the volumes??
i just last week installed scsi in 2 computers, loaded vista on both, and both disks in each computer show in my computer.
but in some cases , the above action must be taken. hope it helps!

Do you mean you can't see them in the drives section when you click 'My computer'

No, I can't seem them in my computer. I am using the new Abit Quad X38.

did you go into admin tools, storage and mount the volumes??

They don't show up there either. I can't mount what I can't find.

When booting the computer and going into the bios on the scsi card I find both disks, and they also show up in the boot sequence, so everything seems to be in order.

I am really struggling with this one, and I have two 15.000 rpm cheetah disks that I really would like to use. :)

did you use 68 pin cables? or what?? with terminator??
i couldn't even get my 2 15,000 to show at the adaptec card detection, til i used 68 pin cables /terminators.
both show up fine everywhere now.
i've used scsi since 1995.
my first disk was a 200 meg, 1800 rpm. took 6 mins to open a program.
sx33 with 4 meg of ram.

did you use 68 pin cables? or what?? with terminator??

Yes, I use 68-pin with terminators.

i couldn't even get my 2 15,000 to show at the adaptec card detection

Both of my 15.000 rpm disks show up at the Adaptec card detection, but not in Vista.

I have an Adaptec 29160 with a Compaq 73Gb SCSI U320. In XP the SCSI card and drive(s) worked fine - made my PC dual boot (Vista 64 Ultimate) SATA drives work fine - under Vista SCSI does not appear - disk management shows the drive as 'not initialised' - initialise it and attempt to format and Vista 'times out'. Boot back into XP reformat copy data onto it all OK. Boot back into Vista - disk management tells my the drive needs initialising, cancel, close disk management, 1 minute later Vista says device ready to use - open my computer, new drive (with the next available letter not what was specified in XP) and all files are intact. reboot into XP - drive error files corrupt or drive unreadable - boot back into Vista, back to start, drive needs initialising - cancel, nothing happens, try to it times out on format!!!!!! Cannot find a solution for this 'FEATURE' also forgot to mention that at somepoint during this process Vista managed to 'kill' 2 previously working SCSI 73Gb drives - too expensive an operating system for my liking.
Solution - uninstall vista, used boot partion for Ubuntu 8.04 which so far has had no problems and has not screwed my data either.

Back