Add Standard User to Administrator Group

Dear All,

I was login with a administrator privilege user. Last night I removed that user from administrators group and assign a password to administrator thinking that I should be able to login as Administrator.

To my surprise I cant login as administrator nor I'm able to raise my standard user to administrator user. When I googled I came to know we have to enable Administrator account first. I tried enabling the account using DOS command, but to my surprise I'm getting "Access Denied" error.

Now I don't know how can I go back to my previous user with admin rights or login as Local Administrator. It would be great if someone solve this issue.

Many Thanks,
Magic.

Dear Mike,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I remember the password of administrator, but its not giving me option to login as administrator. One more thing I forget to mention is I disabled the UAC control when I start using the OS.

I don't think it is a good idea to use Resetting Password Disk when I know the password.

Thanks,
Magic

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
The burnable CD I have mentioned in the above links should allow you to promote accounts to Administrator.

Thanks Mike,

I'll use the CD and let you know.

Thanks Again!
Magic

You can also start the command prompt from the startup repair menu and enable the built-in hidden admin account, type in net user administrator /active:yes

Mike,

Thanks for your great suggestion. With the help of NT Offline Password Disk, I was able to enable administrator account and for test purpose I promote user to administrators group.

I was not able to enable administrator account with Startup Repair Disc, when I give the command net user administrator :active/yes I was getting successfully completed message but it was not enabling administrator account. May be I was doing something wrong.

Thanks again guys for your prompt and good advance.

Regards,
Magicguy.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.