Need full Administrator authorization not local

Dmin11

Hello to anyone reading this. Thanks for your interest.
I'm trying to help the aunt of a friend of mine. She doesn't remember her account password (I know) and would like to get back into her account. There's a lot of back story to this that I won't bore you with. The computer is a desktop Asus All-in-One running Windows 10 Home 22H2. The Home part may be part of my problem.
I've been able to create a new account for her and can copy all of her info into the new account but I'm not sure about her browser settings and bookmarks. I've learned about the administrator being able to change the password for an account using command prompt. I've also learned about and activated the local administrator account and have logged into it. The problem I'm running into is that the local administrator doesn't seem to have the authority to change the user password for the aunt's user account. I'm assuming the local administrator account doesn't have the elevated authority to enforce that command. Is there any way to install a fully authorized administrator account so I can change the password for the aunts account? The person who initially installed the Windows OS set himself up as a full administrator but he's no longer reachable and there doesn't seem to be a password hint for the aunt only a request for a Pin. Which she has no idea as to what that is. (I know).
The "net user" command shows only the original installer as an administrator and all the rest as "Guest". Here's a replica of the info I get for the "net user" command....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Administrator bBob Nutter DefaultAccount
Guest phyll_000 phyll_000_2
rober_000 WDAGUtilityAccount
The command completed successfully.

Obviously bBobNutter is the original installer/full administrator, phyll_000 is the aunt and phyll_000_2 is the new account I set up for her and the other guest is her grandson.
I've logged into the Local administrator account, and I've tried the command "net user phyll_000 'newpassword' " and have gotten this reply...."The system is not authoritative for the specified account and therefore cannot complete the operation using the provider associated with this account.

Also, and maybe I should have mentioned this first....Going into "Control User Accounts." Naturally the Administrator account shows up as a local administrator. I see "bBobNutter" as a Local Account Administrator, "phyll_000" also as a Local Account Administrator but there are also these two accounts: phyllis T****, next line is evidently her email account **************@msn.com, next line shows as Administrator, Password protected. (Note the ****** are for keeping the account names private.)
Also there's another account for the bBobNutter local account that's also an email account ********@Verizon.net, that's also password protected.
At this point I'm a little confused as neither of the "email" accounts show up as users of any sort, but the Phyllis account is the one she always logged into with the forgotten password. When I try to "manage user accounts" and "change password" for these two accounts, I do not get an option to "Change user password." Probably because they're listed as Administrators , not local administrators.
I think that covers everything. Maybe a simple solution for one of the experts but, I'm stumped at this point. All my Google searches haven't shown up an answer for this particular problem. As I said originally, this may be because of the installation being Windows Home. Of course, the other problem is the forgotten password....Lol
So, if there's some way to (remove/change to a new) the password, that would be a safer option than copying everything to a new account. Plus, there would still be the problem of not having full admin powers.
Thanks very much to anyone who got this far with the reading...lol.
Regards,
Dmin11

Hello Dmin11,

I understand your concern and will do my best to help you with the issue you are facing. Based on the information you provided, it seems that you are logged in as a local administrator and trying to change the password for the "phyll_000" account. However, it appears that the system is not allowing you to make the change.

In this case, since you are already logged in as a local administrator, there might be some restrictions in place that are preventing you from changing the password for another user account.

One possible solution you can try is to reset the password for the "phyll_000" account using a password reset tool. There are various third-party tools available that can help you reset or remove the password for a Windows user account. However, please note that using third-party tools can be risky, and it's always recommended to use them with caution.

Another option you can consider is using the "lusrmgr.msc" tool, which is a Microsoft Management Console snap-in that allows you to manage local users and groups. You can try the following steps:

1. Press the "Windows" key + "R" to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type "lusrmgr.msc" and press Enter to open the Local Users and Groups window.
3. In the left pane, expand "Users" and locate the "phyll_000" account.
4. Right-click on the "phyll_000" account and select "Set Password".
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to set a new password for the account.

If neither of these options works, it might be necessary to consider performing a password reset using a Windows installation disc or USB drive. This process will involve booting from the installation media and accessing the recovery options to reset the password for the "phyll_000" account. Please note that this method may require some technical expertise, and it's recommended to seek assistance from a professional or someone experienced in performing such tasks.

I hope this information helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Back