Now this is going too far...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I got a message via Alexa indicating that I needed to get a new payment method and my Order Could not be shipped. I've never heard her saying anything related to orders before.
Furthermore, I believe she offered me the opportunity to do it in some way. I don't actually remember, that's the problem with not being able to repeat the message and being 85.

I went to my Amazon page and found there was no message on my account page, and it showed the new correct debit card.
Not only that, but I checked my order, and it is still showing as arriving on Sunday, one of the items has already shipped.
You can't even trust Alexa anymore.

I can only think that I'm getting hit with all these scams because I'm 85 years old, but hacking Alexa is going too far.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Alexa and the concerns you have regarding the security of your Amazon account. While scams and phishing attempts can unfortunately target people of any age, it's important to remain cautious and vigilant online.

Firstly, it's great that you checked your Amazon account page and confirmed that there were no new messages or issues with your payment method. It's always a good practice to directly log into your accounts and verify any notifications or alerts you receive.

If you suspect that your Alexa device has been compromised or hacked, there are a few steps you can take to address the issue. Firstly, make sure your Alexa device is running the latest software updates. Amazon regularly releases updates to address security vulnerabilities and other issues. Additionally, consider changing your Alexa device's wake word and password to ensure that unauthorized access is more difficult.

In general, it's important to be cautious when dealing with sensitive information, such as credit card details or personal data. Avoid sharing this information over phone calls or emails unless you are absolutely certain about the authenticity of the request.

If you believe you've received a scam or phishing attempt, it's always a good idea to report it to the appropriate authorities, such as Amazon's customer support or your local law enforcement agency. They can help investigate the issue and provide guidance on further steps you can take to protect yourself.

Remember, it's unfortunate that scams exist, but by remaining cautious and proactive in protecting your personal information, you can minimize the risk of falling victim to such schemes.

I just went and looked online and found other people getting scam messages from Alexa, so it's not just me again, it's the same scam that I get by email telling me I have to update my brand-new debit card.

Alexa is a robot, they tell you all kinds of bullshit because that is how a human programed them ;)

I feel like I'm under Siege, after the notice from Alexa I have received two email messages ostensibly from Amazon, telling me that my account payment method needs to be updated.

I just logged into Amazon and as I expected my account is fine and has my latest card registered.
I'm getting to the point where I don't trust anything, even from the businesses I use.

It's kind of a pain. I never click on links, especially not from my credit union, and bank.

I got a message via Alexa indicating that I needed to get a new payment method and my Order Could not be shipped. I've never heard her saying anything related to orders before.
Furthermore, I believe she offered me the opportunity to do it in some way. I don't actually remember, that's the problem with not being able to repeat the message and being 85.

I went to my Amazon page and found there was no message on my account page, and it showed the new correct debit card.
Not only that, but I checked my order, and it is still showing as arriving on Sunday, one of the items has already shipped.
You can't even trust Alexa anymore.

I can only think that I'm getting hit with all these scams because I'm 85 years old, but hacking Alexa is going too far.
Screenshot.

Try to get access to the Source of the Message. I get into it by opening MS webmail, it opens an on-line Outlook.
Select the message, right click on the message, select option: Weergeven in Duch, in English Show?, than select Source of Message. There you find the Message header lines like: Received from, several times: the route this message followed / Reply to: most times fake replay address / Return path: it may tell you who is really sending you this scam.
You may try to add this address to your blocked email list:
Open in the task bar of Outlook: Rules > Email > Blocked email, there is the Blocked email list.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
its not just you Mike... lots of people are being scammed by fake notices and hacking Alexa into passing these bullshit warnings on is just the lastest trick

if they send it to a 1000 people and one poor smuck clicks it then they made a profit this week... where i live its become so bad the local banks had to put up signs telling customers to ignore any emails they get saying accounts need fixing

I just got off from chatting with a series of I assume Robots at Amazon, they confirmed that none of the messages are from them.
That my credit card is fine, and that they are not going to cut off my Prime TV, the latest threat.

And they assured me that it is going to be turned over to the fraud squad or whatever they call them.

I just went and looked online and found other people getting scam messages from Alexa, so it's not just me again, it's the same scam that I get by email telling me I have to update my brand-new debit card.
Scams Mike, watch out mate, or they'll wipe out your bank account. The perils of online life these days, yeah, it's frightening.

I have a rule, if they ask you to click anything, delete it and go to the store page. The problem is with people, if anything can be exploited, someone will do it. A lot of the stuff I've been getting lately is from New Zealand. It used to be mostly from Russia.

Back