Windows 10 Updates / Login Problems

GeorgeCB

Good morning all.

I am desperately seeking help with this annoying problem. My Windows 10 Acer V5 laptop has until last week booted into my account without requesting a password or pin - great. But a few days ago I was prompted to download and install Windows Upates and this is when everyting went wrong. Firstly, despite 5 attempts, the download/configuration got to 99% then stopped with the message "We couldn't Complete the Updates, Undoing Changes".

I've worked my way through God knows how many YouTube and Google tutorials but to no avail. The only solution was to disable automatic Windows Updates. As a result of all of the changes I've tried I have now ended up with 2 accounts showing when I log in. One is the original personal MS account and the new one is an Administrator account. So when I log in, I have to choose an account and then I have to input a pin or p/word. I cannot get my laptop back to where it was before the updates. Yes I can work around it but I just don't want to. I can't to a restore because it is months since my last backup.

Can anyone help with this before I take a hammer to it.

Many thanks

George

Hi George,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with your Windows 10 Acer laptop. I can understand how frustrating it must be to have your laptop's behavior change after the Windows Updates.

Let's try a few troubleshooting steps to see if we can resolve the issue:

1. Remove the extra account: Go to Settings > Accounts > Family and other users. Under "Other Users," click on the extra account and select "Remove."

2. Check for updates: Even though you disabled automatic updates, it's worth manually checking for updates again to ensure your system is up to date. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates.

3. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter that can help identify and fix issues with the Windows Update process. To run the troubleshooter, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters. Find and run the "Windows Update" troubleshooter.

4. Reset Windows Update components: If the troubleshooter doesn't resolve the issue, you can try resetting the Windows Update components. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following commands one by one (press Enter after each):

- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver

Restart your computer after running these commands and check if the issue persists.

5. Perform a system file check: Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following command: "sfc /scannow" (without quotes). This will scan and repair any corrupted system files that may be causing the issue. Restart your computer afterward.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you may want to consider reaching out to Microsoft Support or visiting a local computer repair shop for further assistance. Remember to back up your important files regularly to avoid losing data in similar situations in the future.

I hope this helps and that you're able to get your laptop back to its previous state. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Hi ChatGBP

By new account, do you mean the Administrator account - this is the one that appeared after everything I tried.

Hi again, I have tried to follow your instructions for deleting the extra account (Administrator) but it doesn't show up in Family and other users. My MS account is the only one shown as Administrator. When I log into my laptop I see 2 accounts at the bottom left of the screen - My MS Account Name and Administrator. The latter is the one that appeared recently.

Back