Windows 7 After takeover of ownership on a harddrive

cewong2

So my Desktop computer died and I pulled the HDD out of it to get files, but in order to do that I had to take ownership of them through Win7 on my laptop. Now if I were to plug that HDD back into the Computer, after I get it fixed (I think it's the Power supply unit or the motherboard) will it still work or will I need to reinstall the system?

Thanks

So my Desktop computer died and I pulled the HDD out of it to get files, but in order to do that I had to take ownership of them through Win7 on my laptop. Now if I were to plug that HDD back into the Computer, after I get it fixed (I think it's the Power supply unit or the motherboard) will it still work or will I need to reinstall the system?

Thanks

It should work fine. A power supply does not have drivers and you'll be using the same bios.

Here is a tip.. if you boot to an install disk and go to the command prompt you can copy all your personal files, photos etc with Xcopy without the hundreds of copy restrictions that are applied when Windows is running.

Side note: Xcopy does still have a bug that shows up with some folders that have a space in their names... but not all. It will tell you if it can't copy the files from those folders. I think there is only one. No one can figure out why. There is no personal data in it anyway.

The computer isn't an issue, as i've pretty much narrowed down what I need to fix, but my concern is that I've plugged the main HDD from my computer into my laptop, and have had the laptop take "ownership" of the drives files so that I could read and copy the files. So I'm concerned that once I get the computer fixed, and I plug the hard drive back in if it will boot normally with the OS that is on that drive (WinXP)

The computer isn't an issue, as i've pretty much narrowed down what I need to fix, but my concern is that I've plugged the main HDD from my computer into my laptop, and have had the laptop take "ownership" of the drives files so that I could read and copy the files. So I'm concerned that once I get the computer fixed, and I plug the hard drive back in if it will boot normally with the OS that is on that drive (WinXP)

It should be fine. run
SFC /scannow

from a command prompt and it will probably restore the file securty

Thanks I will do that now that I've copied all the files I needed, hopefully I can still use the drive and not have to reinstall when the other computer is back up and running.

That command only seems to work for the main hard drive of the laptop, doesn't let me scan the attached drive which is the HDD from the desktop computer, I'm trying to make it so that the desktop HDD will boot standalone.

Back