Windows 7 All Of A Sudden---No Sound

Wiseman

I'm not the only one who experinced this, but haven't found anything to help me solve the problem. Sound was OK one day, then the next----gone!! Nothing added or uninstalled. I uninstalled sound in device manager and rebooted. I also restored my computer to an earlier date. Still---nothing. I got Microsoft updates and checked all the settings. The computer shows all signs of sound ( levels and meter looking as though sound is playing), but nothing.
Maybe there is no rhyme or reason for this, but it is strange. Windows 7 build 7100. Anybody else figure this out? Thanks,
Wiseman:(

Welcome to Windows7forums... :)

It could be that yours is a hardware related problem instead of a software problem.. ;) I know it sounds like a long shot but if you've already done all that and no luck than it could be..

Thanks. Funny thing is--- I turned it off for the night and booted back up this morning----and the sound is back. What the heck? Anyway, thanks for the response. Still don't know why it did what it did, but for now it's ok again

Wiseman:)

Yeah, There are probably a few more surprises to come. But I'll have to say---so far I have been impressed with W7. I think Microsoft learnrd a few things down the road. I was ready to venture out in Linux-land. But I know almost nothing about that so I'll stick with Micro. A little worried about how much this thing is going to cost, though. Wonder if they learned enough to make this whole things reasonable. Oh well. Just a thought. Thanks for the response. Still have sound. I have an Acer Laptop with a built in web cam. I don't really use it so it's not a big deal, but I could've sworn it worked at first. Doesn't now. Oh, well.
Wiseman

I hear ya loud and clear on the price thing.. ;) I am still mixed when it comes to that.. on one hand I can see it being maybe a little bit cheaper than Vista.. Just because of the tarnished image Vista has received over the years.. But on the other hand I can see it being a little more expensive than Vista.. Just because Microsoft knows they can do that and people (not all I know) will still buy it.. ;)

Either way, I'm saving my pennies now so I'll not need to worry once it hits store shelves..

The webcam in your laptop, have you checked on the Acer site to see if they have any available drivers?

Yeah, well I DID go to the Acer site. Maybe didn't get the right thing somehow. Works fine in Vista. Pressing the icon gives me "properties" or uninstall. That's wierd. So I will try again.
Windows 7 SHOULD be cheaper. And look how many versions of Vista they put out? That was ridiculous!! But, yes, they own us, so to speak. I have taken the step to use Open Office instead of Microsoft Office. Then changing computers, hard drives, re-installing Windows is such a hassle, especially getting the activation baloney all over again. Not to mention the price of Office. We, the consumer are getting hit from everybody. Oh well, Thanks, Radenight. Have a good one.
Wiseman

Thanks. Funny thing is--- I turned it off for the night and booted back up this morning----and the sound is back. What the heck? Anyway, thanks for the response. Still don't know why it did what it did, but for now it's ok again

Wiseman:)

Go to your control panel, click on Sound... Then click on the communications tab, then click DO NOTHING and save.

Hope this helps

Wow!! I almost thought you were kidding. But there it was----"DO NOTHING". and I clicked it. All is well. Learn something new every day. Thanks, Al

Wow!! I almost thought you were kidding. But there it was----"DO NOTHING". and I clicked it. All is well. Learn something new every day. Thanks, Al

Glad all works for ya.... I experienced the same issue a few weeks ago, drove me crazy. Played around some and found that setting. All was good after....

Peace..

Back