Windows 7 Alt/F10 after Win 7 Upgrade

julio99

I upgraded my Acer 5100 x86 from Vista to Win 7. I do have Vista recovery discs, however I was checking to see if I could recover the laptop to Windows 7 by using Alt/F10. Actually I was just trying to see if Alt/F10 worked at all and what I found after the Windows 7 upgrade was that I got a screen with the following:

Edit boot options for: Win 7

Path\Widows\System 32\Winload.exe
Partition 2
Hard disk 2522d7dc
/No execute=optin/PAE/Numproc=2

Enter=submit Esc=Cancel That is at the very bottom. What does all this mean and what does it mean as far as Alt/F10 goes? Does it mean that there is no way that works anymore because of the upgrade? I still have eRecovery and my Recovery partition is still "Healthy". I don't get why the Alt?F10 quit working though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the answer to your problem but I do know that special keyboard functions are features of the keyboard, and not Windows. That is, Acer uses special drivers for the keyboard to program the keyboard's function keys. If you upgraded to Windows 7 and did not install Acer's keyboard drivers, then it is not likely any of the Function keys behave "normally", unless they have been programed in the BIOS by Acer. And it would appear that is not the case.

So, you might look on Acer's website for your notebook for current Windows 7 drivers.

I don't know the answer to your problem but I do know that special keyboard functions are features of the keyboard, and not Windows. That is, Acer uses special drivers for the keyboard to program the keyboard's function keys. If you upgraded to Windows 7 and did not install Acer's keyboard drivers, then it is not likely any of the Function keys behave "normally", unless they have been programed in the BIOS by Acer. And it would appear that is not the case.

So, you might look on Acer's website for your notebook for current Windows 7 drivers.
My Notebook never got drivers for Windows 7. The drivers were always kept at Vista. I installed Wisdows 7 as an upgrade. The drivers at their site are still pretty well the same ones and only go as high as for Vista OS.

The last bit of what you say kinda sounds like the machine does not support Windows 7... although usually if a machine will support Vista it will support 7. What's the Acer model so I can look or investigate for myself, please.

Another point is, if you migrated to 7 from Vista via an "Upgrade" path, you would likely do better to install 7 as a clean install by selecting "Custom Install", instead.

As long as the machine will or does indeed support 7

Regards,
Drew

"I was checking to see if I could recover the laptop to Windows 7 by using Alt/F10." - Is this a typo? There is no way you can "recover" to Windows 7 by using the Acer recovery option. It came with Vista, and that is what the recovery option was designed to return your computer to.
But, if your intention is to try and return to Vista (?), check in the bios and ensure that the D2D recovery is on.
Also, if not already done, after checking as above, try the Alt+F10 function on boot up.

No kidding, eh, Dave? It's fun or @ least challenging sometimes trying to decipher what is actually being asked or said init? Sometimes I don't even try to answer things cus I'm all confused just trying to figure out the question, never mind trying to figure out what to reply or how to respond.

... you're right about the "recover back to 7" when it wasn't 7 , in the 1st palce.

Are we having fun, yet? :confused:

Ummm... maybe it'll all make sense in the morning ... or maybe not

D

Last edited:
Mmmm & in my case it's, also, my business/job. @ least, hands on w/ clients or even remotely, I can figure out what the issue is (supposed to be) but, yes, nothing like a poser that offers a little head scratching, that's true enough ;)

Drew

My Notebook never got drivers for Windows 7.
That's my point. So you need to reinstall them - even if you are reinstalling Vista drivers (which often, but not always work with Windows 7). Nevertheless, as I noted above, unique Function key assignments are NOT a Windows feature. So by installing a new OS over the old (even as an update) it is likely the Function key assignments were reverted back to Windows defaults, and you lost the Acer assignments. To fix that, you need to reinstall the drivers from Acer.

The last bit of what you say kinda sounds like the machine does not support Windows 7... although usually if a machine will support Vista it will support 7. What's the Acer model so I can look or investigate for myself, please.

Another point is, if you migrated to 7 from Vista via an "Upgrade" path, you would likely do better to install 7 as a clean install by selecting "Custom Install", instead.

As long as the machine will or does indeed support 7

Regards,
Drew
I understood what you said the first time. You were right to steer me in the "clean install" method. All I was doing was exploring the options of the recovery partition. I do know that if I want to get back to Vista I would just run the recovery discs, but I've already upgraded to Windows 7 so that is where I'm going to stay. I was just trying to figure out if some of the old recovery options were still valid/Alt?F10 and Acer recovery. Obviously now I know they aren't and if I crash and burn my best way back is via the "clean install with the Win 7" using Custom install and activating at the end.
You got to remember Drew, not everyone has your computer knowledge and that is why we use these forums. To try and get a little of your knowledge. Cutting me up isn't giving me any confidence to do some of these things and ask some of the questions I might want to ask. I come to the forums to get help. Thanks for the advice. I do think I have it down now.

"I was checking to see if I could recover the laptop to Windows 7 by using Alt/F10." - Is this a typo? There is no way you can "recover" to Windows 7 by using the Acer recovery option. It came with Vista, and that is what the recovery option was designed to return your computer to.
But, if your intention is to try and return to Vista (?), check in the bios and ensure that the D2D recovery is on.
Also, if not already done, after checking as above, try the Alt+F10 function on boot up.
No typo Dave. Got it figured now. As I said to Drew, just a matter of exploring these recovery options. I still have the recovery discs for Vista. I just wasn't sure what Acer's eRecovery was going to do when I used it so I thought I'd ask before jumping in. Acer seems to give you more recovery options than you know what to do with. I've been told to do a "clean install" with the Win 7 upgrade disc and to use custom install and activate when I'm finished, so it seems all is good. Thanks.

Sorry, my profound apologies. Wasn't meant to come across as "cutting you up"... I just felt a wee bit frustrated cus I wasn't precisely certain what you were asking so was hard for me to know exactly what to answer (but, guess it was the right info, after all, thankfully). I admit I did joke around following the other person's comment... sorry if it seemed that was @ your expense... certainly I only mean to help not offend. Forgive me, for putting my foot in my mouth. Glad I was able to help & I'll be more mindful of silliness that might be taken personally... honestly was not the intent.

Oooops :redface: <---- That's me looking embarassed

Drew

Sorry, my profound apologies. Wasn't meant to come across as "cutting you up"... I just felt a wee bit frustrated cus I wasn't precisely certain what you were asking so was hard for me to know exactly what to answer (but, guess it was the right info, after all, thankfully). I admit I did joke around following the other person's comment... sorry if it seemed that was @ your expense... certainly I only mean to help not offend. Forgive me, for putting my foot in my mouth. Glad I was able to help & I'll be more mindful of silliness that might be taken personally... honestly was not the intent.

Oooops :redface: <---- That's me looking embarassed

Drew

I totally appreciate the extra comment. Thanks and once again thanks for the help.

Back