Windows 7 AMD X6 looking for April release

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
AMD is all set to release its first six-core CPUs, codenamed Thuban, branded the Phenom II X6 1000T series, on April 26th. The Phenom II X6 CPUs is expected to be shown at Cebit 2010 next week.

The schedule fits in with the release of AMD's 800 series motherboards, which are expected to support Phenom II X6 CPUs fully. Older 700 series are likely to support the six-core CPUs, probably with a BIOS upgrade.

Three models are expected at launch - 1035T, 1055T and 1075T. Exact clock speeds are unconfirmed, but widely believed to be 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8 GHz. The Phenom II X6 series tops out at 125W.

Of course, Phenom II X6 will be no competition for Intel's upcoming Core i7 980X six-core, but might make a fierce competitor to Intel's mainstream Core i5/i7 quad core CPUs.

[Rumour] AMD Phenom II X6 to release on April 26th | IT SHOW 2010 | VR-Zone | Gadgets | PC Enthusiasts

Exact clock speeds are unconfirmed, but widely believed to be 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8 GHz. The Phenom II X6 series tops out at 125W.

These pretty high clocks with such a low TDP 125W is very tempting.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

At present only select Intel Corp.’s microprocessors feature Turbo Boost technology that can accelerate certain cores when they are needed while slowing down the unneeded cores. However, with the introduction of AMD Phenom II X6 “Thuban” processors similar capability will also be available on chips from Advanced Micro Devices, sources close to the company revealed to X-bit labs.

There are not a lot of details available at this point, but what we do know is that when single-thread performance is needed most, Thuban processors will automatically disable idle cores and overclock the remaining engines to the maximum possible level that is determined by general thermal design power. The technology will be completely hardware-based, hence, will work in any operating system that supports six-core chips.

Wow....That sounds awesome. Hmm... woudn't mind one meself.. ;)

Good idea, especially that the article says PhenomX6 will be backwards compatible with AM2+ and AM3.

XBit said:
It is clear that the new AMD Phenom II X6 “Thuban” processors will be compatible with AM3 and AM2+ platforms.

Gigabyte spills AMD's beans

Phenom II X6 chips won't catch Intel yet

X86 CHIP DESIGNER AMD is set to release its desktop-oriented six-core processors codenamed Thuban in a month, but it's keeping the details of the specifications secret.
We know many readers lie awake at night wondering what AMD is going to come up with to match Intel's latest Core line.
However, thanks to TC magazine, a couple of BIOS updates released by Gigabyte and some leaked CPU support lists, it is possible to work out the specs for AMD's Phenom II X6 1035T, 1055T and 1075T processors.

We already know that the CPUs have 9MB of cache and an integrated DDR3 memory controller and are manufactured on 45nm technology, but their frequencies have not been released.

According to an accidental leak from AMD partner Gigabyte we now know that the Phenom II X6 1035T will have its six cores set to 2.6GHz, while the 1055T model will be set at 2.8GHz.

It is starting to look like AMD's highest-end six-core processor, the Phenom II X6 1075T, will be clocked at 3.0GHz.

This is 333MHz below Intel's Core i7 980X EE, which likely means they will not compete on raw speed but are likely to be much cheaper. Of course we don't know what the prices are yet so now you all can lose some sleep over that instead

Source: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Phenom II x6 1055T ( 2.8GHz ) = $ 342.99NZD
and
Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition ( 3.2GHz ) = $499.00NZD

thats a way better price than some of the AMD quads were priced at on release here:eek:

just for comparisons sake

Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X ( 3.3GHz ) = $1,641.07NZD

so AMD's top draw is 100MHz slower but $1142NZD cheaper hmmm i know which I'd be going for

Last edited:
I'm hoping they'll do a bios update for my board as I wouldn't mind one of the later models..

Phenom II X6 1090T BE hits 6.8GHz Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error Written by Link Removed due to 404 Error Monday, 03 May 2010 15:02
amd.gif

With lemon flavored LN2

Of course it wasn't lemon flavored, or maybe it even was but nobody had the guts to try it - the important thing is that Phenom II X6 1090T BE managed to break a previous 6-core overclocking record.

The CPU ran on 890FX-based Asus Crosshair IV Formula and used LN2 cooling to hit 6.8GHz, which is a pretty mean feat.

You can find the record with some screenshots Link Removed - Invalid URL.

Woa thats a mean OC and i really can understand why nobody had the balls to taste that lemon flavored LN2 I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to try it :p

AMD Phenom-II X6-1090T CPU Review

Whether you buy into the brand or not, AMD keeps the desktop and server processor market competitive and affordable. Intel recently released their 'Gulftown' Core i7-980X Extreme Edition desktop processor, which offers 3.33GHz to six unlocked CPU cores to the tune of Link Removed - Invalid URL. For that kind of money, an entire high-end PC can be built using the AMD platform... which now also offers six processor cores and native SATA-6GB/s connectivity. Enter the AMD Phenom-II X6-1090T Black Edition processor, model HDT90ZFBK6DGR.
AMD's Turbo CORE technology is now available in 'Thuban' Phenom-II AM3 desktop processors, beginning with the 2.8GHz X6-1055T and 3.2GHz X6-1090T CPUs. Turbo CORE senses when three of the six processor cores are not in use, and automatically boosts the clock speed up to 500MHz. Paired with the AMD 890FX chipset found on ASUS' Crosshair-IV Formula ROG motherboard, the AMD Phenom-II X6-1090T Black Edition CPU can reach 4.0GHz on all six cores with an additional 4.3GHz Turbo CORE. In this article, Benchmark Reviews tests the AMD X6-1090T against the Intel Core i7-920 and i7-890X processors in gaming, computing, and overclocking performance.

Read on: AMD Phenom-II X6-1090T Black Edition Processor | Review,X6-1090T,HDT90ZFBK6DGR,AMD Phenom-II X6-1090T Black Edition Processor HDT90ZFBK6DGR,AMD Phenom-II X6-1090T Black Edition CPU HDT90ZFBK6DGR Benchmark Performance Test Six-Core Processor Review

Back