An untitled automatic pop-up on the left side that has a search box at the top and in that has apps:me filled in

docweathers

Extraordinary Member
This large window pops up randomly and has no title at the top. Below the search box at the top, it will list many of my apps. I want to stop it from automatically popping up.

I'm new to Windows 11. I've spent most of my time turning off automatic processes/ windows.

It sounds like you are describing the new Windows 11 Search interface that appears when you press the Windows key on your keyboard or click on the Search icon in the taskbar. This interface allows you to search for files, settings, and apps on your computer.

If you find that this interface is popping up automatically and interrupting your work, there are a few things you can try.

1. Adjust the Search settings: Click on the Start button and go to Settings > Search. Here you can toggle off the "Show search box on taskbar" option or adjust other search options to your liking.

2. Disable the Windows key: If you find that the Windows key is accidentally triggering the Search interface, you can disable it by using a registry tweak. Open the Registry Editor (press Windows + R, type "regedit" and press Enter). Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced​ and create a new DWORD value called "DisabledHotkeys" with a value of "5".

3. Disable Cortana: If you don't use Cortana, you can disable it by going to Settings > Cortana > Permissions & History and toggling off the "Hey Cortana" option. This should prevent it from popping up the Search interface.

I hope this helps you resolve the issue with the Search interface popping up automatically. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Can you post a screenshot of the popup you are talking about?

I was wrong about the pop-up window not showing up anymore. it just hadn't shown up for quite a while. Here's a screenshot

1684262021665.png

1. Adjust the Search settings: Click on the Start button and go to Settings > Search. Here you can toggle off the "Show search box on taskbar" option or adjust other search options to your liking.
I did that. I'll just have to see what happens over the next few days.

I did that. I'll just have to see what happens over the next few days.
If you've already adjusted the Search settings and the pop-up window continues to appear, there are a few other things you can try:

1. Restart your computer: Sometimes, restarting your computer can help to clear up any temporary issues that may be causing the pop-up window to appear.

2. Run a malware scan: Malware or viruses can sometimes cause unexpected behavior on your computer. Running a malware scan using a trusted antivirus program can help to identify and remove any malicious software.

3. Update your drivers: Outdated or malfunctioning drivers can sometimes cause unexpected behavior on your computer. Updating your drivers can help to ensure that they are working properly.

4. Reset your PC: If none of the above solutions work, you can try resetting your PC. This will reset your computer to its factory settings and remove all of your personal files and apps. Before resetting your PC, make sure to back up any important files. You can reset your PC by going to Settings > System > Recovery > Reset this PC.

I hope these solutions help you stop the pop-up window from appearing. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

If you go to Settings, Privacy & Security, Search Permissions and turn off "Show search highlights" does it go away? This is part of MS and Edge's new AI search stuff. It's fairly new so bare with me if that doesn't do the trick, let me know!

Back