Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Not responding, High CPU, slow wireless

raymairjr

Hi All,

I upgraded to the Anniversary edition in early August. I had some problems but things were manageable. In the last 2 weeks my Dell Precision M6800 with 32mb of RAM and 2 480 gb SSD hard drives was experiencing 100% CPU utilization to the point I couldn't even bring up Task Manager and had to do a Power shutdown. I cancelled a day of training and worked with a Dell technician for 6 hours and we turned off a whole bunch of stuff like Cortana etc. We finally got CPU utilization down to less than 50% most of the time. A symptom that has been there is (not responding) which I get. I have both Office 365 running Web Applications and Microsoft 2010 and some 2013 installed apps. Reading other forums, it seems that it is the Web based applications which can save data to web or local that are root problem. The Anniversary Update has issues for people with Web Based Applications. Example - I had started a word document in Office 365, I went to save to a local disk and need to create a new folder, it will hang for 30 seconds or longer to create the folder and in the dialog, I get (not responding) until the folder is created and then I save it. Sometimes this happens and sometimes not. Also, in general Wireless performance has been 30 to 50% less than Ethernet since upgrading to Windows 10. The Dell technician tweaked my Intel wireless device and got it working 100%. Then Windows 10 did an update and now my Wireless throughput is down.

When Windows updated, it probably found a 'newer' wireless driver than what was installed and installed their generic driver. With other components you can simply go into Device Manager, uninstall the device and then let it redetect it and install the latest. But if the wireless connection is your only connection (no RJ45 jack), then that's not an option.

Did you go to the Dell site and look for new drivers for your system under Windows 10? There could be a new network driver or even a new chipset or two that you need to install. The Dell technician should have done that, but you may need to do it again. The manufacturer certified drivers should be automatically downloaded and installed, but it never hurts to check yourself.

Hi,
OldGuy has a good suggestion, and fixing the Wi-Fi driver is often at the top of the list. If this fails to solve the problem there are several other things you can try. I did want to follow up on OldGuy's suggestion about using an Ethernet cable to directly connect your laptop to your router or Internet modem (Cable or DSL) to reinstall your faulty Wi-Fi driver. Looking at your Owner's Manual here: http://cdn.cnetcontent.com/77/d2/77d220d0-259a-40cf-b1ee-697f619e24c4.pdf. On page 73, it does show you have a standard wired network interface adapter card built in to your laptop (10/100/1000Mbps) so this would be an option for you to try.

Next, there are now tons of issues since Microsoft finally started rolling out the AU update since Aug. 2nd and there are now 7 builds or sub-versions of W10 v1607. This confuses things even more, since the new one was just released Oct. 1st on Sunday, but most people didn't get it until Tuesday morning when the weekly Microsoft push updates are delivered to consumers. This latest update is somewhat better than the previous ones, but it still will scramble your windows, mess up previously working drivers, etc. etc. I've written many posts here on this forum about this on 4-5 threads; you can use our search tool to search on ANNIVERSARY UPDATE, and read all the boring details. Needless to say, if your W10 was on the previous version, in other words prior to the Aug. 2nd release of the AU, this is no surprise. That update so far only has 4 people that we know of (not including me) that has worked without issue.

What we generally are recommending, not all but most of us here, are that you attempt to "rollback" your system using the built in windows System Restore utility to a point in time before this latest AU update came in and messed up your windows. Depending on the general health of your computer, and we have no way of knowing what shape it's really in without having it on my workbench, there can be risks in doing this. In order to avoid any irretrievable data loss, it's always best to that you FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS.
You should definitely do this even though System Restore point is a good and stable program, it's not guaranteed to work 100% of the time, so if you haven't backed up your personal data elsewhere, these precautions are necessary.

After System Restore completes and your laptop is rebooted, test the computer for utilization before installing all your programs such as MS Office, etc. At this point your system should be working normally!:up: You can then proceed to reinstall all your programs, and web-updates, and antivirus, etc. Test your system again; make sure it's working correctly. Finally, you can copy your data back over from wherever you backed it up to (external hdd, flash drive, Cloud), and all should be good! :up:

If the problem persists after the System Restore, you'll need to consider virus/malware infection, or faulty hardware components such as RAM sticks or Hard Drive. If you choose to troubleshoot this yourself, post back and I'll provide you with a troubleshooting guide which includes diagnostics to test your hardware, along with more aggressive windows repairs up to and including W10 reinstallation.

If one of our suggestions fixes your problem, we also recommend that you turn off Windows Updates as well as disabling WUDO to attempt to keep updates from re-scrambling your computer until Microsoft can fix the AU update. Here's a couple of posts on how to do this yourself: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930#bookmark-1607.
How to disable WUDO: Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ.
These will be helpful but will still not block out all the updates coming into your W10 computer as that's now an integrated feature of W10 as you already observed.

Let us know how it goes,

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom