Another 1440p or go for 4k?

trog69

Fantastic Member
I have been very fortunate to enjoy this cheapo S. Korean 1440p monitor, but it's been three years, and I don't want to tempt fate, so I'm looking to replace it. I don't need the faster monitors as I only game single-player RPGs like Fallout 4/Skyrim/The Witcher: Wild Hunt, so most of the lower-end monitors suit me just fine, as long as they're IPS. Which brings me to another idea, trying out a 4k monitor of similar size. ( This one is 27", and most of the 4k monitors I've been looking at are 28") Size being somewhat important because I am only running one 980ti GPU right now, and I don't want to be tied to the 4k resolution if I find that I'd have to turn down too many graphics options, and I figure that if I have to, I could down-res back to 1440p if need be.

I see quite a few 4k TN panel monitors going for less than $400. Has anyone experience with monitors like this? I'd love to have the option of going for either resolution, but I really like the sharpness and colors from this IPS monitor, and I'd be severely disappointed if the image was sharp, but the colors were only so-so.

Thanks for any help. I hope to grab either one after New Years.

I personally regret getting a 4k laptop. Certain applications don't play well with it such as SnagIt (I've learned to scale back the DPI on pictures when I'm posting) and many games have strange quirks such as extremely tiny mouse cursor and text. The only way to drop down the resolution is to use an external monitor. If I drop it down on the laptop only 1/4 of the screen is used and the rest is black.

Some things to consider...

There should be scaling options to stop that in most games and there should be options to stretch the screen to fill whatever resolution you choose.

I personally regret getting a 4k laptop. Certain applications don't play well with it such as SnagIt (I've learned to scale back the DPI on pictures when I'm posting) and many games have strange quirks such as extremely tiny mouse cursor and text. The only way to drop down the resolution is to use an external monitor. If I drop it down on the laptop only 1/4 of the screen is used and the rest is black.

Some things to consider...
Thanks for the reply. I also have a gaming laptop, but it's a realistic 1080p resolution. heh

There should be scaling options to stop that in most games and there should be options to stretch the screen to fill whatever resolution you choose.
Yes. I noticed that even the mod that alters Planescape: Torment to use recent resolutions, includes a 4k option. And, I also saw for myself, when I had a 780 card, that downscaling this 1440p monitor to 1080p was not a bad experience, contrary to what I was told by many others. The game ran smooth and looked great. Once I upgraded to a 980ti, I no longer had to resort to that. But I figure that if I do run into problems with frame rates/disabling too many graphics options, the fact that I'm looking at a 28" 4k screen vs 27" 1440p screen should make downscaling fairly easy on the eyes.

So, unless I hear from others having issues with this, I will likely go for a mid-priced 4k monitor rather than another 1440p.

Back
Top Bottom