Any avid readers here?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Just looking for anyone who would like to share some information regarding recent or maybe old favorite books or authors that they enjoyed and might consider recommending.
I don't really want to limit the scope of this thread but my particular interests lie mostly along the mystery, thriller, and espionage genre and would appreciate recommendations along those lines. I know, not necessarily a genre steeped in literary awards, but I didn't make any claims to being a deep or profound thinker, just looking for some escapism and a relaxing, if not necessarily an easy read.
Some authors I’ve enjoyed
Robert B Parker Dead (Damn) most of the Spenser Books as well as the Jesse Stones
Robert Ludlum Dead (Damn, Damn) everything even the Jason Bourne Books except the Eric
VonLustbader attempts at continuing the franchise.
James Patterson All things Alex Cross and a couple of the Women’s Murder Club Books
John Sandford All the Lucas Davenport as well as a couple of the Virgil Flowers
Vince Flynn Everything Mitchell Rapp
Lee Child Everything Jack Reacher
David Baldacci Just about everything he’s done
James Lee Burke Everything Dave Robicheaux, just finished Glass Rainbow, talking about a book that makes you feel smarter, just for having read it (or maybe wishing you actually were smarter so that you could have appreciated it better.
The list goes on, but I’m really just looking for some recommendations. An author that you read religiously or a book that just really blew your skirt up.
Thanks.

Hey Randy,
I am an avid reader but perhaps the wrong genre for your tastes? I basically read science fantasy stuff or anything that's a little 'out there'.
My fav authors include Micheal Moorcock: Eternal Champion series amongst others although Elric the moody albino warrior has got to be the best IMO. Another great read is a book called 'Weaveworld' by Clive Barker. This is an amazing story and one I return to time and time again.
I can't mention the above without JRR Tolkein who really started the ball rolling regarding fantasy and his books are never far from my side..
When i think of some more i'll post em..

Excellent and thanks Ross. I actually took a class in college called "The Psychology of Science Fiction" and we were required to read a bit during the class, mostly mainstream Asimov, Heinlein, Bradbury, etc. I developed a bit of a taste for it, but haven't returned to reading that particular genre, so I'll head down to the library and pick up something by Micheal Moorcock and take a look, as for the Eternal Champion series, which is probably what I'll pursue, is it something that you have to read in order, or is each individual book able to stand on it's own?

Well the Eternal Champion series is a bit of an old chestnut for me and this wiki guide is a great help in working out the volumes and various series. Eternal Champion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My personal favourites have to be:
Elric of Melnibone (the last few pages of the final book 'Stormbringer' are probably the finest you'll find in any sci/fantasy book)
The Corum series (this includes both Corum series)
Finally The End of Time series is about as different as you can get from the normal sword and sorcery stuff. It's about the human race at the end of time, set incredibly far into the future...
Another great read is the 'Dune' series by Frank Herbert, especially if your into twisty plots.

Already taken the first step, got my county library transferring a copy of Eternal Champion to my local branch, will probably be here by Friday, going to give it a try.
I think I'll hold off on the Frank Herbert Dune series, I believe I have given it a try before and as I recall, just couldn't get into it. Sort of like my sister, who knows that I'm a pretty big Stephen King fan, telling me Randy, you have got to read the Stand, well after 3 or 4 serious attempts, it's still collecting dust on my book shelf. But his books like IT and CELL, couldn't put them down.

Wow.. cool. That concerns a hero called Erekose if I recall correctly and out of all of the Eternal Champions he's the one who is doomed to remember... All the others are basically oblivious as to what they are and their true purpose. Man you got me all fired up to read them again!

:-bdBooks in, going to pick it up in about an hour. It better be good or else you're getting scratched from my christmas card list this year.=))

Well I hope you like although it can be an acquired taste.. If that fails I'd certainly try the Elric or Corum series. I think the book your getting can be quite dark..

Well I can handle dark. The book that I got is evidently the third and according to his introduction (which by the way was worth picking up the book just to read his intro) last, and definitive. It contains
The Enternal Champion
The Sundered Worlds
Phoenix in Obsidian
To Rescue Tanelorn
ISBN # 1-56504-191-7 if anyone else is interested. Link Removed - Invalid URL
It's a paperback, but not a pocket size, more like about 6X9

Ooh 'To rescue Tanelorn' is a good story. It's been over 25yrs since I read that book so I don't remember everything..

Back
Top Bottom