Windows 7 Any Feedback from Upgrade version users?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I was wondering if anyone currently allowed to have a copy of Win 7 was getting an upgrade versions or just full versions. It would be nice if folks using an upgrade version of the OS would post their experiences and confirm or refute some of the rumors about the install process.

I was on Vista 32 bit and wanted to go to Windows 7 64 bit so I bought the upgrade version since I understood there was a "custom" install option included with the upgrade version. The first thing that happened when I put the Windows 7 64 bit DVD in the drive was that the setup process gave me an error saying I was trying to upgrade from an "incompatable" version and it wouldn't give me the custom install option. Finally got through to Microsoft tech support and they told me the way around this was to reboot the PC (with the Windows 7 64 bit DVD in the drive) and press F12 while rebooting. Then from the boot menu I had to select the option to boot from the CD-Rom drive and after doing that it finally gave me the custom install option. Before contacting Microsoft I was so frustrated I was about to return the upgrade version and get the full version. This information should have been included in the manual.

Folks, this IS working for me...

After downloading and attempting to install the Digital River file (which quit near completion of installation) it left a folder on my desktop with the necessary files inside -- they are completed, even though you get the erro. If you then use the USB Key install method here:

How to Make the Student Discounted Windows 7 Upgrade Bootable | Notebooks.com

... to do a "custom install", you then WILL be able to do a FULL install over the top of ANYTHING... be it XP, Vista, or even NO operating system (I had no OS on my new build, and it worked). I formatted the HDD, though.

And yes, my Digital River product key worked just fine. No issues. I'm up and running. Took me 5 hours of attempting to burn ISO disks, hunting sites, and pulling out my hair until I found the above USB key method, though. FAR easier than command line typing and burning DVD's for boot that never worked.

A couple of notes: I had to set my computer's Bios to boot from USB first in the boot order. Also, once installed, I had to pull out the key because after reboot, it attempted to reinstall Windows 7 again before completion. If this happens to you, just cancel out of the reinstallation, pull out your key, and reboot to finish.

THIS IS WORKING NOW!

They are the same except the upgrade version just doesn't boot.... without help.... exactly as I predicted about a month ago.

Upgrade DVDs, or at least the one I have, do boot and install. If you have one that doesn't, let us know.

I downloaded the upgrade version and when I wrote the files to a dvd it wouldn't boot.

It's good to know the upgrade disk does boot.... Now I'm wondering what's the differenced. Did it boot and go to custom install with NO hard drive in your computer? If you unplug your hard drives then we know it's not checking / finding any OS in some kind of verification process.

Packaged upgrade works!

I bought the Home Premium Family upgrade last night. Allows three systems to be upgraded.

My Sony Vaio laptop was first. Opened the drawer, put the 32 bit disc in and away it went. No questions, no problems. The Vaio did have the Windows 7 RC, not activated, on it. But it all went very smooth.

The Desktop was running Vista Business so I had to do a clean install. Backed up all my data and downloads, then did another clean install. Again, all went well.

I have downloaded and installed Thunderbird and Firefox - no problems. This weekend I will be installing my applications.

In summary, vanilla upgrades went fine. So far, very nice.

Marsha

Here is my step-by-step what I did.
1. From within Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, I downloaded the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Professional upgrade.
2. Used the installer to extract the files, but received above mentioned error.
3. Checked the file size of the folder "extendedSetup" and noticed that it was 3.01 GB.
4. Moved extendedSetup folder to root (C:\) which basically means goto start click on my computer click on your hard drive and then take the file and drag it to your hard drive
5. Downloaded this file and placed it into C:\WINDOWS\System32: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/gen...d-l-oscdimg.zip
6. Brought up command prompt and typed the following: oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso You have to manually enter this, do NOT copy and paste it
7. Burned ISO with ImgBurn (freeware)
8. Booted, installed, and activated You have to change your boot order so the dvd-cd is 1st and your hd is 2nd.

6. Brought up command prompt and typed the following: oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso You have to manually enter this, do NOT copy and paste it

Do you know why you can't copy and paste?

Back
Top Bottom