Windows 7 Apple @ WWDC keynote: Windows 7 is Just another version of Vista

Ahmed Alzayani

I hate how apple always trash windows, and they use Vista bad reputation to trash windows 7. will guess what your "Snow Leopard" is another version of "Leopard".

Last edited:
Apple @ WWDC keynote: Windows 7 is Just another version of Vista

Well, I think they are more or less right... But it doesn't necessarily need to be a bad thing. With Vista, M$ focused way too much on the UI than on the kernel/networking/performance. Windows 7 doesn't bring any revolutionary changes (to be honest, seems to me there have been just about 2-3 of those since Windows 3.1... ;) ), but definitely improves overall performance and responsiveness. However much I like Windows 7 I too see it just as a fixed Vista - Vista that works without unnecessary WOWing :)

It's the same crap with every Windows release.. ;) If one looks at the way apple does than you could say that Windows 98SE was just a fixed version of Windows 95, Windows 2000 was just a fixed version of Windows 98SE, Windows XP was just Windows 2000 with a 'flashy' UI, and on and on it goes.. ;) I think most Windows fans just tune the apple comments out.. :)

At the OP:

Your completely right though, Apple IS just using Vista's bad rep to trash Windows 7.. It would be interesting to see what they'd be saying about Windows 7 if Vista wasn't the flop that it was.. ;) I'm sure they'd find something else to trash about Windows as they always do..

Last edited:
Personally I would say "so" to Apple. I like Vista and Windows 7 is even better. That's a good thing if you ask me.

Natural progression. Why completely reinvent the wheel?

i like how everyone is agreeing that windows 7 is a progression from vista and snow leopard is again just another progression on leopard.

The interesting point about all this is that Apple are doing this for $29 dollars!!!
How much will Microsoft charge you for this natural progression of 'vista to windows 7' ?

ps: I have a dell xps 410 and a macbookpro machine and i enjoy using both machines equally but i still believe that apple have a smoother, more slick gui and as the adverts say... it just works out of the box, but so does Windows 7 now :p my next computer purchase will cause me to stop and consider. I love the style of apple hardware but i think the processors, graphics card are out of date even thought they just got updated yesterday :S .. give me an icore 7 apple iMac and i'm sold.

Windows 95 (tough one) mac
Windows 98 < mac
Windows 2000 < mac
Windows xp == mac
Windows vista < mac
Windows 7 == mac

Thats my view, i have an imac and a my (used to be vista)-Laptop. The Mac is mainly for Photo editing, web design, surfing web and holding music. Nearly everything else i use my laptop, (even though its not as fast, its just easier to find the software i need for windows)

and Apple shouldn't slander window and visa versa

Last edited:
How much will Microsoft charge you for this natural progression of 'vista to windows 7' ?

Sorry. But for me. Nothing. Gotta love torrents =)

...ok, maybe... what... 10 bucks from light and internet. and 1 for the dvd.

that´s very cheap for me.

Sorry. But for me. Nothing. Gotta love torrents =)

...ok, maybe... what... 10 bucks from light and internet. and 1 for the dvd.

that´s very cheap for me.

Lol :) Keeping well away from any comments on this one ;)

Yes,,, Apple can sell you the OS for 29$ cause they make all their money off the HARDWARE. and it's all INTEL
Yes, you can with a flick of the BIOS on any Intel board install MAC. Nothing special really needed other than that.

Oh, what is that I hear? Apple suing another Mac Cloning company cause they can build them cheaper?
Hmmmm,,,, why is it illegal to install MAC OS on any other hardware than Apple sold hardware?
Oh,, I think if you look under the hood you will be surprised to find INTEL HARDWARE.

Give me 3000$ and I can build you a Windows system that will smoke your $3000 MAC.
Believe me I have done it.

Give me 3000$ and I can build you a Windows system that will smoke your $3000 MAC.

lol, i totally agree. But ya have to admit Mac is a really well written OS... not that windows ain't :D

Yeah Apple does over price their products but we all would, if we thought we'd get away with it :) .I don't think Mac users are naive, more like stubborn. I know people that use Mac and would never change to windows, when asked they just say mac is easier to use - its just what their used to. I use Mac, Linux and Windows, all for various reasons and can't see a big Difference between them - although a few years that would have been a lot different.

Yes,,, Apple can sell you the OS for 29$ cause they make all their money off the HARDWARE. and it's all INTEL
Yes, you can with a flick of the BIOS on any Intel board install MAC. Nothing special really needed other than that.

Oh, what is that I hear? Apple suing another Mac Cloning company cause they can build them cheaper?
Hmmmm,,,, why is it illegal to install MAC OS on any other hardware than Apple sold hardware?
Oh,, I think if you look under the hood you will be surprised to find INTEL HARDWARE.

It's illegal to run Mac OS on non-Apple hardware because Mac OS is only sold with a Mac or as an upgrade to a Mac. It's just like using an upgrade copy of Windows without owning a normal copy of Windows.

They sue companies for preinstalling a Mac OS upgrade on a machine it isn't licensed to run Mac OS. Microsoft would sue too if a company did the same thing with Windows.

Last edited:
lol, i totally agree. But ya have to admit Mac is a really well written OS... not that windows ain't :D

In my opinion, yes Apple is a well written OS.. However, the problem I have with MAC OS's is when something screws up, your screwed.. literally.. ;) Good luck saving your work if a system crash rears it's ugly face on a MAC.. At least in Windows 99% of the time you can at least still save your work when a system crash happens.. Also, MAC's seem like their always trying to hide something.. In Windows you have access to EVERYTHING, all system files, the registry.. etc With MAC's you can't access anything like that by default..

Though these may be small negatives for power users, mainstream user's would be completely lost during a system crash on a MAC whereas in Windows even the mainstream users can get their work saved during a system crash.. ;) (for example)

I realize there are many other faults but these are the first two that come to mind..

True, but I've actually never had a Mac Crash on me, my only problems with Macs seem to be PMU failure and once a Hard Drive. The whole point of Mac is that the user will not need to access the system registry etc.

I do see your point though, I use Windows as my main system because i find i can do more - be it gaming, work or just tinkering.

BTW: could be one reason Mac Users aren't impresses with Windows :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the same crap with every Windows release.. ;) If one looks at the way apple does than you could say that Windows 98SE was just a fixed version of Windows 95, Windows 2000 was just a fixed version of Windows 98SE, Windows XP was just Windows 2000 with a 'flashy' UI, and on and on it goes.. ;) I think most Windows fans just tune the apple comments out.. :)

At the OP:

Your completely right though, Apple IS just using Vista's bad rep to trash Windows 7.. It would be interesting to see what they'd be saying about Windows 7 if Vista wasn't the flop that it was.. ;) I'm sure they'd find something else to trash about Windows as they always do..

Was not Windows 2000 actually more like Windows NT4 fixed and Windows Millennium was Windows 98 SE fixed? XP, then broke both 2000 and Millennium for two or three years. XP was supposed to fix Millennium AND 2000; but it took until SP2 for Microsoft and outside developers to get together and get things all moving in the same direction. As with Vista, when XP came along I looked at it and found that my 2000 at work and Millennium at home was the best course. HP printer drivers was the only problem I really ever had in 5 years or so with Millennium. Maybe Windows 7 is just Vista fixed......If it is fixed; what's the problem with it being so? Vista had some good ideas, just the poorest of execution.

(obviously some of the opinions expressed here are an attempt at humor, although for the most part, factual)

Back