Windows 10 Approximate stand-by wattage?

WinFreak

How much energy does a laptop typically need to maintain stand-by mode?

I would like to calculate how long a 50 Watt Hour battery can keep a laptop in stand-by.

How much energy does a laptop typically need to maintain stand-by mode?

I would like to calculate how long a 50 Watt Hour battery can keep a laptop in stand-by.

You can find out exactly how much electricity does your laptop consume by using an Electricity Monitoring Socket. Something like this:
electricity monitor.jpg

That really won't show what the standby drain from the battery is though. But really cool for monitoring peak usage of say a desktop.

That really won't show what the standby drain from the battery is though. But really cool for monitoring peak usage of say a desktop.

Remove the battery and let the pc/laptop in stand-by while monitoring (connected just with the power cord). It will consume the same amount of energy as if it were on battery only (as long as the power settings in Windows are the same for both battery and power cord). The same pc/laptop in the same state (stand-by) consumes the same amount of energy. It is just the electricity source that changes. It is the same with every electronic device. Whether it gets the energy from the grid or from photovoltaics or battery it consumes the same amount of energy.

Last edited:
I believe you me 50 Kilo Watt Hour. 3Watts is a good ballpark answers for most laptops or you can check the manufacturer site for the standby watts usage. HP is 2.3 watts in standby so a 50KWH battery would last for 50,000 / 2.3 is about 21,000 hours. Due to other facts such as heat and the chemical composition though they can lose that charge much faster. Even removing the battery from the device it will still eventually completely discharge.

Back
Top Bottom