Windows 10 Apps won't open when logged in as local admin

Amnesiac

I get the error message 'App cannot be opened <Appname> cannot be opened using the local administrator account. Log in to a different account and try again.' attempting to run e.g. Sticky Notes, Calculator.

I recently migrated from Windows 7 and this was never a problem there. I obviously cannot log off then on again just to use these apps, so what to do?

Thank you.

Hi,
Try going to the Search box on your W10 taskbar (bottom of the screen) and type in USER ACCOUNTS into the search box, you will then see on the search list ADD, EDIT, OR REMOVE OTHER PEOPLE +System Settings. Click on this item, and the SETTINGS windows will open up, under ACCOUNTS, select the YOUR INFO item on the left-hand side of the window.

Under the YOUR INFO you should have your Avatar or a Photo that you used, or just a stick figure if you didn't select either of those for your Windows login account. Right underneath the round circle with the Avatar or Picture in it for your User, you'll see an E-mail address if you selected a Microsoft Store Login when you setup your W10. If you setup a Local Login instead (no Access to Microsoft Store & Apps), you'll see your User privilege type. Mine is "ADMINISTRATOR". If yours is not Administrator, it may say "STANDARD", which means you are not logged in with an administrator account to your computer and thus you don't have full privileges to make changes, add/remove programs, system folders, etc.

If your User Account type is "STANDARD", and not "ADMINISTRATOR", you can click on the next item under your name/avatar-picture windows which is "MANAGE MY MICROSOFT ACCOUNT". If you click on this item, and you are using a Microsoft Store Login (must be associated with an E-mail address you own), you will be taken to a page on Microsoft's website to manage your account where you will then have the ability to change your User NAME on the W10 computer you are using (as well as all other W10 computers you are using with the MSL (Microsoft Store Login), change your PASSWORD, and change your MULTIPLE PAYMENT OPTIONS type. You will notice if you get to this page, that you cannot change your User type from "STANDARD" to "ADMINISTRATOR", or vice-versa since your MSL login is automatically an "ADMINISTRATOR" type account and cannot be changed.

Only if you are using a Local Login account would you be able to change your user account from "STANDARD" to "ADMINISTRATOR" or vice-versa. If you find that your User account type is Standard, then you need to attempt to change it to Administrator as you would guess. Once you do that, your User account then gives you the keys to your kingdom so to speak and all apps and programs normally have all the permissions they need to install and run. :polite:

This whole 2-Account type thing throws a lot of people for a loop who are only just now upgrading from an earlier version of Windows such as Vista/W7/W8x. This information has been out there for more than 2 years now, as Windows10 is coming up on it's 2nd Anniversary at the end of this July in a just a few months. Hopefully, that fixes your access problems! :up:

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>> :brew: :usa:

Both of these applications are AppX applications in Windows 10. You can try re-installing both of them. Open a powershell prompt and type the following, you can also just copy and paste.

*Sticky Notes*
Get-AppxPackage -Name *sticky* | foreach{ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register -Path "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" }

*Calculator*
Get-AppxPackage -Name *calcu* | foreach{ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register -Path "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" }

Hi,
Try going to the Search box on your W10 taskbar (bottom of the screen) and type in USER ACCOUNTS into the search box, you will then see on the search list ADD, EDIT, OR REMOVE OTHER PEOPLE +System Settings. Click on this item, and the SETTINGS windows will open up, under ACCOUNTS, select the YOUR INFO item on the left-hand side of the window.

Under the YOUR INFO you should have your Avatar or a Photo that you used, or just a stick figure if you didn't select either of those for your Windows login account. Right underneath the round circle with the Avatar or Picture in it for your User, you'll see an E-mail address if you selected a Microsoft Store Login when you setup your W10. If you setup a Local Login instead (no Access to Microsoft Store & Apps), you'll see your User privilege type. Mine is "ADMINISTRATOR". If yours is not Administrator, it may say "STANDARD", which means you are not logged in with an administrator account to your computer and thus you don't have full privileges to make changes, add/remove programs, system folders, etc.

If your User Account type is "STANDARD", and not "ADMINISTRATOR", you can click on the next item under your name/avatar-picture windows which is "MANAGE MY MICROSOFT ACCOUNT". If you click on this item, and you are using a Microsoft Store Login (must be associated with an E-mail address you own), you will be taken to a page on Microsoft's website to manage your account where you will then have the ability to change your User NAME on the W10 computer you are using (as well as all other W10 computers you are using with the MSL (Microsoft Store Login), change your PASSWORD, and change your MULTIPLE PAYMENT OPTIONS type. You will notice if you get to this page, that you cannot change your User type from "STANDARD" to "ADMINISTRATOR", or vice-versa since your MSL login is automatically an "ADMINISTRATOR" type account and cannot be changed.

Only if you are using a Local Login account would you be able to change your user account from "STANDARD" to "ADMINISTRATOR" or vice-versa. If you find that your User account type is Standard, then you need to attempt to change it to Administrator as you would guess. Once you do that, your User account then gives you the keys to your kingdom so to speak and all apps and programs normally have all the permissions they need to install and run. :polite:

This whole 2-Account type thing throws a lot of people for a loop who are only just now upgrading from an earlier version of Windows such as Vista/W7/W8x. This information has been out there for more than 2 years now, as Windows10 is coming up on it's 2nd Anniversary at the end of this July in a just a few months. Hopefully, that fixes your access problems! :up:

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>> :brew: :usa:

Thanks Jedi. "This whole 2-Account type thing throws a lot of people for a loop" well, it would, wouldn't it? Stoopid. I'll try you suggestion(s). I would never have thought in a million years it would be this complicated to get to use the humble calculator on my own PC...
facepalm.gif

Both of these applications are AppX applications in Windows 10. You can try re-installing both of them. Open a powershell prompt and type the following, you can also just copy and paste.

*Sticky Notes*
Get-AppxPackage -Name *sticky* | foreach{ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register -Path "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" }

*Calculator*
Get-AppxPackage -Name *calcu* | foreach{ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register -Path "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" }

Thanks Neemo. You made it very easy for me, with all that you typed for me just to copy/paste. Much obliged Sir!

Back
Top Bottom