Windows 8 Auto Repair Problem.

Ninome

Ok, So, I started up my laptop this morning and the screen was all wonky, It was light blue and there were swiggly white bits, I waited a bit and then restarted it.
The Auto Repair started up when the computer started back up so I left it alone for a bit
"Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC"
I was like Ok, I checked the logfiles
"Boot critical file c:/ci.dll is corrupt"
It won't let me refresh or restore my computer.
I was hoping there was a way to get the files off. :/
Can you guys help?
It's a Sony Vaio if that really matters.

Forgot to say, If I restart it just loops back to the auto repair.
I also wish I could change the title to the forum it's not the auto repairs fault its the stupid file. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you had an opportunity to read through this thread here. boot critical file C:\CI.dll is corrupt - Microsoft Community
Looks like the issue may be linked to an infection.
If you have the resources to pull the hard drive and hit it with TDSSKiller from Kaspersky and perhaps a followup with another couple scanners it might be worth your time.
Regards
Randy

If I remove my HDD I'd void my warranty and my Mom'd kill me.
I tried the other thing with Ubuntu but I can't get it to boot from the USB it just keeps going back to automatic repair. ;A;
I tried changing the bios so it'd boot from it and I tried to make it boot from the usb in the auto repair menu and it just won't let me. Any other ideas..? I might have just messed up my ubuntu installation or something so I'll try that again
Edit:
Oh I feel like an idiot. I didn't have boot from external device enabled

Last edited by a moderator: