Windows 10 Can't Boot Into Windows 10 Home / Auto Repair Not Working

Lasagna

Hello, I just registered. Auto repair displays: CRITICAL_ PROCESS_DIED. F8 safe mode won't open when starting up. Bought a recovery CD. Won't restore or reset. Command prompt: CHKDSK completed but sfc /scannow won't run, saying Windows Resource Protection. Can't boot into Windows 10 to open RUN in order to run Windows Resource Protection. Piece of junk ACER has been a headache since setup.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble booting your Windows 10. Let's try some solutions step by step.

1) **Startup Repair:**
On the Windows Recovery CD, there should be an option for Startup Repair. Use this if you haven't done it already. After booting from the Recovery CD, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Repair.

2) **Use System Restore:**
Again, from the Windows Recovery CD, opt for Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Restore. This might undo recent changes that's causing your system not to boot.

3) **Using Bootrec.exe:**
Bootrec.exe is a utility that can fix some common issues with the Master Boot Record (MBR), Boot Sector and Boot Configuration Data (BCD). To use this command:

a) Boot from the recovery CD, open Command Prompt.

b) Type the following commands one by one hitting Enter after each:

- bootrec /fixmbr

- bootrec /fixboot

- bootrec /scanos

- bootrec /rebuildbcd

4) **Check BIOS settings:**
If above steps do not work, ensure that your boot settings in BIOS are set correctly. Make sure the Boot order is right and Hard Drive is recognized.

5) **Re-install Windows:**
If all else fails, a clean install of Windows 10 from the Recovery CD may be necessary (please back up all important data by connecting your hard drive to another computer before you attempt this, as this step will erase all data).

Remember, hardware faults, such as a failing hard disk, can also cause boot problems. If you suspect this might be the issue, you may need to consult an expert or contact Acer support to further diagnose the problem.

Hope this helps, and do let us know if you need further assistance.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble booting your Windows 10. Let's try some solutions step by step.

1) **Startup Repair:**
On the Windows Recovery CD, there should be an option for Startup Repair. Use this if you haven't done it already. After booting from the Recovery CD, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Repair.

2) **Use System Restore:**
Again, from the Windows Recovery CD, opt for Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Restore. This might undo recent changes that's causing your system not to boot.

3) **Using Bootrec.exe:**
Bootrec.exe is a utility that can fix some common issues with the Master Boot Record (MBR), Boot Sector and Boot Configuration Data (BCD). To use this command:

a) Boot from the recovery CD, open Command Prompt.

b) Type the following commands one by one hitting Enter after each:

- bootrec /fixmbr

- bootrec /fixboot

- bootrec /scanos

- bootrec /rebuildbcd

4) **Check BIOS settings:**
If above steps do not work, ensure that your boot settings in BIOS are set correctly. Make sure the Boot order is right and Hard Drive is recognized.

5) **Re-install Windows:**
If all else fails, a clean install of Windows 10 from the Recovery CD may be necessary (please back up all important data by connecting your hard drive to another computer before you attempt this, as this step will erase all data).

Remember, hardware faults, such as a failing hard disk, can also cause boot problems. If you suspect this might be the issue, you may need to consult an expert or contact Acer support to further diagnose the problem.

Hope this helps, and do let us know if you need further assistance.
Hello and thank you. I can not find the recovery DVD. I tried downloading the ISO installation media. When it tells me, touch any key to boot... Auto Repair just runs again and does no repairs. Also, can I connect my Windows 10 PC to either my Windows 8 PC or 7 laptop? And can I alternately connect to my SSD?

Hello and thank you. I can not find the recovery DVD. I tried downloading the ISO installation media. When it tells me, touch any key to boot... Auto Repair just runs again and does no repairs. Also, can I connect my Windows 10 PC to either my Windows 8 PC or 7 laptop? And can I alternately connect to my SSD?
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still facing issues with your Windows 10 system. Let's try a few more steps:

1) If the auto repair keeps initiating, you might have to adjust the boot sequence in your BIOS. Try changing the boot sequence so that your computer boots from the Recovery USB/DVD first and not your local hard drive. Here's how you can do it:

- Reboot your PC.

- As soon as your PC starts, press the appropriate key (usually F2, F10, F12, or DEL) to enter your system BIOS.

- Look for the 'Boot' tab and change the boot order so that your Recovery USB/DVD is first.

- Save your settings and exit BIOS. Now try booting from your recovery media again.

2) As for connecting your problematic Windows 10 PC to a Windows 8 PC or a Windows 7 laptop seems like you are thinking about accessing data on your defective hard drive. You can accomplish this by removing the hard drive from your Windows 10 machine and making use of a SATA to USB adapter to connect it to the other computer.

- Please note that physically handling your hard drive needs some delicacy as improper handling can lead to permanent data loss.

3) You can alternately connect your SSD as well. The SSD can be connected to a SATA port on your computer's motherboard. Be sure your system supports the SSD's full capacity before making a connection.

4) If none of the above steps are working, you might want to consider creating a bootable USB with Windows 10. Microsoft provides a tool known as the 'Media Creation Tool' that you can use to create such a USB. This tool downloads the latest Windows 10 installer and formats your flash drive so you can boot from it.

Remember, before performing any of these operations, ensure that all your important data is backed up.

Please let us know if you face any issues or have any queries.

Thanks so much. I did make that Media Creation DVD from the ISO. And I did change boot priority to DVD in BIOS. When I turn on, it says press any key... but nothing happens, and eventually auto repair runs and does not fix anything. Then I see CRITICAL PROCESS DIED.

Last edited:
Back