bat/exe files not found in path

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by Mayank Kulshreshtha, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mayank Kulshreshtha

I have a Lenovo Ideapad s510p running original Windows 8.1. Bought it in May'14.

The problem is that it's not able to find & run some bat & exe files given in the '%Path'. Whereas it can find some - it can't find some others. So it doesn't run them unless full path is specified.

This is a big issue. The Path & PATHEXT variables are configured properly.

Here they are:

"PATH" user variable: "C:\Users\Mayank\AppData\Roaming\npm\; C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\bin\;"

"Path" System variable: "C:\Program Files (x86)\iis express\PHP\v5.3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\;;C:\Program Files (x86)\nodejs\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\; %JAVA_HOME%\bin; %GRAILS_HOME%\bin\; C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\bin\;C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\TypeScript\1.0\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\; C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\bin"

"PATHEXT" systems variable: ".EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC"

Now for instance the MySql 5.6 binaries are in the path. But I am not able to run them from command prompt without specifying the full path.

2. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

.com is missing?

You have no java and no powershell... these would normaly be in the programData and Windows will try to go there first... I assume that is why you need to give it the full path before your com prompt will run.

3. Mayank Kulshreshtha

No the it is present in PATHEXT. I had to remove it bcoz the web ui of this site was giving some problem with it - thinking a weblink is being inserted.

Just like now when it's not allowing me to insert it in this reply.

The problem is for bat files & exe files.

4. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

Text isn't working... so perhaps a vid?

Please take some screenshots of the error you are getting and post them for us.

5. jcgriff2

jcgriff2 Honorable Member
    Microsoft MVP

Not sure if this minor syntax error matters or not, but you have 2 semi-colons back-to-back -

Files\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\;;C:\Program Files (x86)\nodejs\;​