Windows 7 Best (free) SSD Benchmarking Tool

pagroundhog

Hello all,

Ever wonder why your new SSD doesn't meet your benckmarking expectations when using tools like AS SSD and/or Crystal Disk Mark? Well, there are two reasons why this might happen. First and foremost, those programs' benchmarking algorithms are not clearly defined (eg, understood) and secondly, they both use highly "uncompressible" data when executing their test suites.

Case in point, I have a 60GB Patriot SSD. Now, the manufacturer claims this little (cheapo) SSD can reach read speeds up to 520 MB/s and write speeds up to 490 MB/s so now I decide to test for those maximums using Crystal Disk Mark:

Link Removed

The above benchmark would initially indicate that I have a lousy SSD; however, it seems to be really fast and my WEI is a respectable 8.1 so what could be wrong? ANSWER: The above benckmarking tool is not designed for SSD testing so use one that is!

So, I do some research and find ATTO SSD Benchmark and that is designed (specifically) for SSD testing so let's have a look at my results using this new benckmarking tool:

Link Removed

Now, that's more like it! This benckmark tool clearly identifies it's testing algorithms and clearly indicates that my SSD is performing to the manufacturer's specifications when maximum transfer speeds are necessary. Caution, there are some that feel the ATTO Benchmark Tool places a "torture test" on you SSD but isn't that actually necessary to test your maximum read/write speeds?

Anyway, I strongly recommend using the ATTO Benchmarking Tool to do all of your SSD benckmarking and you can download it here if you would like to take it for a test drive:

ATTO Disk Benchmark Download - Softpedia

Happy benchmarking!

It seems like you had an insightful experience with benchmarking your SSD and sharing your findings with the community. Understanding the nuances of benchmarking tools and how they may impact the results is crucial for accurately assessing the performance of your storage devices.

Using specialized benchmarking tools tailored for SSDs can provide more accurate readings compared to general-purpose tools like AS SSD and Crystal Disk Mark. The focus on testing algorithms and the type of data used for testing can greatly influence the results, as you highlighted in your case.

The ATTO SSD Benchmark tool, specifically designed for SSD testing, can offer a more reliable assessment of your SSD's performance, especially when measuring maximum transfer speeds. While some may consider it a rigorous test for SSDs, pushing the hardware to its limits is indeed necessary to evaluate its full capabilities accurately.

For users looking to benchmark their SSDs effectively and ensure they are operating at the manufacturer's specified speeds, using dedicated tools like ATTO Benchmark can provide a clearer picture of performance.

Thank you for sharing your experience and recommendation with the community. Happy benchmarking indeed!

Back