Best Linux OS For 512 MB Ram

Discussion in 'Linux Forums' started by TechSuggester, Oct 9, 2016.

1. TechSuggester

TechSuggester New Member

Ok i did say Linux OS but its not Linux i just said that because the creators used code from WineHQ program

Its reactos it uses 96 mb ram

Graceolivia likes this.
  2. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

"Best" is kind of a loaded word. What's best for one isn't for another. If you want something extremely light you could use one like Tiny Core. If you want a bit more of a GUI then LXLE or LUbuntu

3. catilley1092

catilley1092 Extraordinary Member

Linux Mint Xfce edition may be the best on low resource computers.

Linux Mint 18.1 "Serena" - Xfce (32-bit) - Linux Mint

Or if one's willing to learn the OS, it can be used by booting from a CD (live session) or installed to disk. The great thing about booting from live CD is that it's a great way to make secure transactions, the reboot flushes all data. Tahrpup is one of the most popular.:)

Puppy Linux Downloads

Cat

4. pnamajck

pnamajck Well-Known Member

nice find, cat.

5. catilley1092

catilley1092 Extraordinary Member

pnamanjck, glad to have been of assistance!:)

While the numbers of these computers are dropping as though hot coals, there's diehards that'll run their older computers until the wheels fall off, or cannot afford a new(er) model, so Linux MInt Xfce (or most any Xfce based LInux) are a good choice. It's also a good choice for the tens of millions of low cost, low spec, Windows 7 computers (mostly notebooks) with a low amount of RAM & low grade CPU, there's both 32 & 64 bit choices.

While Puppy is a bit harder, especially with the install process (I've not done this), have used the bootable CD's to make secure transactions, in fact to this day, I still use the latest Linux MInt MATE media in this manner for that purpose. Nothing is written to disk, there's zero chance of Malware (on the computer's end) of one's information being compromised, even if the PC is loaded with infections.:D

I still remember my first computer, a notebook, when I got it, had every bit of 256MB RAM (128MB x2) before upgrading to it's max. Slow experience to say the least, had yet to hear of LInux, if I had, would had been running it longer than I have. Am a 8+ year Linux Mint MATE user, would have been at least 17 years total, had I known of Linux then. It's fast on slow computers & runs as fast as greased lightning on low spec modern models. If one has a 64 bit computer, by all means, download that version.:)

Cat

6. pnamajck

pnamajck Well-Known Member

"zero chance of malware" … now that's a step in the right direction … keep the faith, cat.