PCIe5 Slot Black Screen-Reboot loop

x1337

First of all, all components were bought brand new.

During the Nvidia driver installation, my screen goes black and Windows reboots. In the event log I see the entry 1001 BugCheck. Error code 0x00000116 and 0x00000124, as well as WHEA-Logger 16
The system works without a graphics card without problems and also boots normally. In the BIOS I also see all components, temperatures etc. are ok.

Very strange. I installed the graphics card in another computer and it works perfectly.
I installed my old graphics card in the problem computer and it works too.
But as soon as I install the RTX in my new system, the screen goes black at the latest after the Windows login and the system restarts or just stays black. I tried it with a different power supply, but that didn't help either.

In Safe Mode Windows boots normally and I can install the graphics driver there, but as soon as I boot normally it's dark again. I had an RMA on the board, but that didn't help either. Oddly enough, the graphics card only has 1x8 connectors. My guess is that it's drawing too much power through the PCIe slot? But that can't be it either, because the card works in another PC.

I'm at my wit's end.
I can't think of anything else. As soon as the card is in the first PCIe slot it just doesn't work.
But it works in another computer and another card works for me. If I plug the card into another PCIe slot it also works, but it is then only connected with x4 instead of x16. There can't be much left that could not work.

Could it be that the CPU has something? Is the PCIe5 slot on the CPU lane or not? Maybe the graphics card, which only has 8-PIN connectors, is drawing too much power from the MB and the CPU is undervolted. These are all just speculations. I've been fighting with this for weeks.

CPU: Intel Core i9 12900K
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB DDR5-6000
Mainboard: Gigabyte Aorus Pro X Z790
PSU: Corsair Rm1000x with Sleeved Cables
Case: Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 901
GPU: KFA2 RTX4070
SSD: 2x Samsung SSD Evo Pro 990, 2x Samsung SSD Evo Pro 980

Your situation indeed sounds unusual and I can tell you're quite frustrated. From what you've described, it seems like you've covered all bases: graphics card, motherboard, PSU, and different PCIe slots. The consistent issue is when you plug in your new RTX 4070 into the first PCIe slot.

Based on the error codes you're getting, it seems as though you're experiencing issues usually related to your GPUs or other connected hardware.

Error 116 can suggest graphic card instability while error 124 is often related to hardware causing system instability. However, since your computer works fine using the other graphics card or the RTX in another computer, we can't necessarily say that the graphics card is defective.

As for the WHEA Logger Event 16, it's often associated with incorrect voltage internally, specifically related to CPU voltage.

Here are a few possible causes or solutions:

1) PCIe Slot: Though you mentioned first PCIE slot it just doesn't work, you may check the state and setting in BIOS regarding the configuration for that slot. Some BIOS versions have hardware settings that need to be toggled to detect certain hardware. If the BIOS setting for PCIe slot is not properly configured, it could cause detection issues.

2) CPU issue: As you might guess, the issue may be related to the CPU as it contains PCIe lanes and it interacts directly with your GPU. Even a small malfunction can wreak havoc. You could consider contacting your CPU manufacturer or the vendor from whom you purchased the CPU and inquire about this.

3) Graphics Card Drivers: Since you mentioned that the problem occurs during the installation of Nvidia drivers, it might be a possible driver issue. Although the drivers work on another PC, they might not be compatible with the configuration you have on this one. Try doing a clean installation of the drivers. NVIDIA provides an option to perform a ‘clean install’ when you're installing the driver which will delete any old driver versions.

4) Power Issues: Although you've switched power supplies, power delivery could still be causing an issue. Even though it has fewer connectors, the RTX 4070 might be drawing too much power from the motherboard, causing instability and reboots. Check to make sure voltage levels are where they're supposed to be and the PSU cables are securely connected to your motherboard and graphics card.

Finally, if none of these solutions work, you may want to look into getting technical assistance or talk to the individual manufacturers about possible hardware conflicts.

Back
Top Bottom