Windows 10 Bizarre power issue

smilejack1

Here's the short version: when I attempt to power up (using the power switch on the power supply) the computer powers up for only an instance and then powers off.

Here's the long version: on Friday I attempted to upgrade to Windows 11. I got an error message early in the installation, so I followed the link that was in that installation message. I don't recall the exact details, but it led me to believe that I had to change a TPM setting in the Bios. I booted to the bios, and the TPM setting was grayed out. I got back into windows and did some googling. It led me to believe that I had to disable secure boot in order to change the TPM setting, but I didn't find any instructions pertaining to my motherboard.

Thinking that the problem might be an outdated version of the BIOS, I tried finding a newer one using the @app that gigabyte provides. It couldn't find me a bios which was compatible with my motherboard. It also couldn't identify my current version of the bios, and I saw a button labeled change UEFI settings - or somesuch - so I hit that button. The computer powered down, but when it attempted to power up, the light on the motherboard went on for just an instant and then went off again. Every time I power up, it does the same thing.

Thinking that my power cable might have failed, I tried two others which I had on hand. Same result. I tried plugging it into other power outlets which I knew to be working, and nothing changed.

This is where it gets bizarre. I took it to Micro Center to add them test it. They plugged in a power supply and a monitor, and it booted right up. Within 30 seconds, I was looking at my desktop on their monitor. They tested it and said that all the hardware was fully functional.

I bought a new power cable, which didn't change a thing. I tested my power supply with corsairs paper clip method. The fan came on, so it appears to be in working order. I have tried cussing at it repeatedly, to no avail. My only working theory at this point is that I have angered a witch who has put a hex or a spell on it, and I can't find a utility for removing hexes and spells.

So here's my question: what the f*** is going on, and what the f*** do I do about it?

Possibly Relevant Hardware info:

Gigabyte Aous 450 Pro Wi-Fi
Ryzen 9 5900x
Corsair cx850m
Crucial BallistiX Sport LT 16Gb 2 x 8GB DDR-2400
970 EVO 250GB MLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe

All help will be greatly appreciated!

It sounds like you're experiencing a power issue with your computer. Based on the information you provided, here are some possible causes and troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Power supply: While you mentioned that you tested your power supply using the paper clip method and the fan came on, it's still worth considering that the power supply might be faulty. Sometimes, a power supply can still partially function but not provide enough power to boot up the system properly. You could try borrowing another known-working power supply or purchasing a new one to see if it resolves the issue.

2. BIOS settings: Changing BIOS settings, particularly related to TPM and secure boot, can sometimes cause unexpected issues. If you can't access the BIOS anymore due to the power issue, you may need to consider resetting the BIOS to its default settings. Most motherboards have a clear CMOS jumper or a button that can be used to reset the BIOS. Consult your motherboard's manual for instructions on how to do this.

3. Motherboard: It's possible that there could be an issue with the motherboard itself. Since the computer booted up fine when tested at Micro Center, it suggests that the hardware components are functioning correctly. However, there could still be a problem with the motherboard's power delivery system or other components. Unfortunately, diagnosing and fixing motherboard issues can be more complex and might require professional help.

4. Power cables and connections: Although you mentioned trying different power cables, it's important to ensure that the connections between the power supply, motherboard, and other components are secure. Make sure all connectors are properly seated and that there are no loose connections or debris that may be causing a power interruption.

5. Power surge or electrical issues: It's worth considering whether there may have been a power surge or electrical issue that could have affected your computer. In some cases, a power surge protector or a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) can help protect your computer from power fluctuations. You may also want to try plugging your computer into a different power outlet or testing it in a different location to rule out any potential electrical problems.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be necessary to seek professional help from a computer technician who can diagnose the problem more accurately. They can perform specialized tests and offer further assistance based on their expertise.

Please note that this response is based on the information provided, and additional details or diagnostics may be required to pinpoint the exact cause of the issue.

Hi
I'm not saying that this will fix the issue, but it's really easy to try.
I got up one morning after the power had been going on and off all night.
My computer was off, but when I got up in the morning, my computer wouldn't boot.

I couldn't get into the bios or a prompt, nothing but a blank screen, couldn't ever restore my backup.
I called the people who built my computer Falcon Northwest and asked them what to do.

They said there is a possibility that the power going on and off corrupted the basic boot instructions on the motherboard.
They said to try resetting it, by unplugging everything plugged into your computer, the power cable, monitor, keyboard, printer, etc.

Once that's done, hold the Power Button down for 3 minutes.
Then let the computer sit for a couple of hours. I left mine overnight.

The next morning I came down and plugged in the monitor, keyboard and then the power cord.
I pushed the power button and the computer booted right up.

These things are designed to restore the basic motherboard instructions if they are drained of power, from instructions hard-built into the motherboard.

Since then my nephew had his computer do the same thing, nothing would open, he tried this, and it worked for him as well.

I know it's a long shot, but it's pretty easy to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom